Torque converter recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

camspeed01

Reaction score
Sorry if this question has been answered many times already.
I have a 1992 Silverado k1500. I do a lot of towing, and I'm looking for a new torque converter. When I bought it, I was told the current converter was cooked from towing in overdrive too often. I've heard that triple discs converters are the best, but they are sort of out of my price range, and also I'm not sure if the spacing will be the same. Essentially I'm looking for a decent drop in solution that won't completely break the bank. Thanks.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your torque converter is truly fried, you need to invest in a transmission rebuild first.

They you can worry about the torque converter...

Who told you your TC is bad? And your truck still drives okay? That doesn't sound right.

camspeed01

Reaction score
Drive ok but I can tell it doesn't lockup anymore. Still shifts great though, the fluid just gets pretty hot when towing. Refreshed cooling system already, and I heard that converters with failed lockup produce a lot of heat

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, so you have a non-E 4L60 (aka 700R4). How much are you towing? Is this a work truck or something?

I'm not familiar at all with those units. Maybe someone here will pitch in...

camspeed01

Reaction score
Yea it's a 700r4. Towing a vehicle on a flatbed. From what I've seen it uses the same torque converter as a 4l60

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would the converter clutch be ruined by "towing in overdrive"? You open the throttle enough, the converter clutch disengages. That does build a lot of heat in the converter, and eventually overwhelms the coolers--the whole trans gets hot.

If your converter clutch doesn't work, I'd be looking at the control system first, before I swapped converters. Brake pedal switch adjustment, fuses 'n' wiring, the TCC solenoid, etc. I know a guy who overhauled his automatic-overdrive transmission, and the converter clutch wouldn't engage. He forgot to put the O-ring on the trans input shaft. But you won't find that problem without pulling the converter off the shaft.

Does the scan tool show the converter clutch is commanded "on", but it doesn't actually engage? Or is the computer not commanding the clutch to engage?

camspeed01

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have a scan tool old enough for this thing. I figured of I was going to go through the hassle of changing the lock up o ring I may as well replace the converter. I think the control system is ok because no can feel lockup trying to work it's just enough throttle input and it will slip through the lockup clutch. And not in the way that its disabling lockup

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Control valve bore could be wore as well. Torque converter and valve body change if everything else is good. Assuming controls are fine. But at that point not far to refresh the rest.

camspeed01

Reaction score
I just need a recommendation for manufacturer, models, or whatever for a torque converter. I don't want to accidentally buy a POS. And I also don't want to dump my life savings into something overkill. The transmission itself is ok, the control system works. I just need a torque converter. Thank you

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I seriously doubt that thing was able to put enough torque through the TCC clutch to kill it. Like Schurkey said it'll unlock/downshift before killing itself.