Torque converter recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

camspeed01

Reaction score
Ok but regardless I still need a new converter. Recommendations please. The lock up o ring probably went bad.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most any name brand torque converter should work. I have a billet single disk in the tahoe and so far it is working good. Was planning to get a triple disk billet for a heavy tow vehicle once motor gets changed out

camspeed01

Reaction score
Most any name brand torque converter should work. I have a billet single disk in the tahoe and so far it is working good. Was planning to get a triple disk billet for a heavy tow vehicle once motor gets changed out
What brand/model is yours?? I'm definitely interested in a billet, and I've heard that a single disk can handle normal towing alright.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What brand/model is yours?? I'm definitely interested in a billet, and I've heard that a single disk can handle normal towing alright.
PTC of Texas billet single disk 2.5k rpm stall on 4l80e. Have to call to get one put together

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ok but regardless I still need a new converter. Recommendations please. The lock up o ring probably went bad.

What truth data do you possess that tells you the converter took a dump other than the fact that it isn't locking up? I'm not seeing a logical approach to this problem, all I see is you hipshooting a converter because it isn't locking up. How do you know the o ring is bad? How do you know the valve body is good? Have you even tried to ohm out the system? We're trying to save you money and asspain here and you seem adamant to ignore us.

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah, you might need a converter, but probably not. The converter clutch in the stock ones does just fine behind stock ish power levels. I've got 280k on mine with a 4L60 that's tuned to run in lockup much more than stock - it has been wide open throttle, 3300 rpm, locked up in 3rd for minutes at a time towing over some of the passes out west, multiple times a year. Don't spend money you don't need to spend, unless you just want to have fancy parts in there.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I know some new trucks would get the clutches poisoned when the trans cooler inside the radiator would go bad. The coolant/trans fluid would exchange and the antifreeze would cause the torque converters to shudder/slip even after flushing. Big strawberry milkshake mess in the cooling system as well as in the trans...Yuck.

Haven't heard it happen on a GMT400 yet though.

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your heart is set on replacing the converter I would go with a Circle D. I run them in three vehicles. Their performance and service is great. Before you spend ANY money though you need to verify that your control system is working properly.

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
on mine with a 4L60 that's tuned to run in lockup much more than stock - it has been wide open throttle, 3300 rpm, locked up in 3rd for minutes at a time towing over some of the passes out west, multiple times a year. Don't spend money you don't need to spend, unless you just want to have fancy parts in there.
I added a switch to mine which allows me to lock up the torque converter in any gear. Works great for towing in third gear.