Tires / Rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Okay, fellers, a lot of you already know that I want to go bigger tires and wider rims, but I have a couple of questions:

1 - CAN I fit 15" rims on a '98? I've heard some say you can, some say you can't. And if I put on 1 ton calipers would I be able to still? (supposing I can?)

2 - 315 or 35" tires are what I am going for, how bad will that be on my 3.73 posi and my tranny? I will eventually regear to 4.56 but until then...

3 - As far as clearing those meats, will there be much trimming/cranking and what are better rims? Wider or narrower, sticking out more or sticking out less?

Thanks y'all.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 ton calipers are the same outside as the 1/2 ton ones. No worries about that part.

I don't see why you couldn't run 15" rims either.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
1 ton calipers are the same outside as the 1/2 ton ones. No worries about that part.

its odd my buddys dads 98 wouldnt clear them but my 98 would his was rubbing on the calipers

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I guess it just depends on backspacing and such right?

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score

Thanks on the caliper bit- I didn't know that.

As for the 15"s, I hope so... the only thing that makes me wonder is some of those people who have had to "grind their calipers down"?

I've seen some nice 15's on craigslist before but have two things holding me back on them: 1) not sure if they will fit & 2) my tires are practically new already... it'd be a waste to change wheel size since I bought these tires new

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
I geuss the only way to know for sure would be to go out there and stick one on :lol:

But then I'm still curious on the tranny/rear end

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
I geuss the only way to know for sure would be to go out there and stick one on :lol:

But then I'm still curious on the tranny/rear end

my buddys have run 35s on there trucks with some seriouse beatings with no prob and one had 3.42 gears and 1 had 3.73 gears i ran 36s for a few days with 3.73s and the only prob i had was it destroyed a weak wheel bearing

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the stock gears the trans will want shift up and down more often, espeically into OD, keeping it in 3rd until on highway will help some. As for the rear axle if its a 10 bolt and g80, its on borrowed time. A better carrier/locker will help but still wouldnt bother wasting money on a 10 bolt and keep an eye for a 9.5" 14 bolt.

For better chance of clearing the tires without trimming body panels, having a less offset rim (narrower stance) will help but will have slight rub on frame at full steering lock.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
my buddys have run 35s on there trucks with some seriouse beatings with no prob and one had 3.42 gears and 1 had 3.73 gears i ran 36s for a few days with 3.73s and the only prob i had was it destroyed a weak wheel bearing

Thanks-!

I really want to throw some 35's on there, I'm just trying to keep myself from searing my conscious while I do it :rofl:

I hardly ever use this truck for hard work- the exception being when we cleared out a grove of trees and I was regularly hauling two barge wagons full of wood chunks. I mostly do commuting to and from work, 10 miles away. Once in a great while I might do some donuts or something, but only like once or twice since I got it two years ago.