Tie rod ball joint question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Does this mean it should be set up for minimal movement? I just had an alignment 5 days ago... unfortunately I decided to mess with my ride height after and actually had to turn my adjuster sleeve on one side because they had the clamp bolts hitting my sway bar. Don't think I moved anything but the clamp though...

I'm planning to get another one from a different shop ...
You said you "turned your adjuster sleeve" and then in the next breath you said, "Don't think I moved anything but the clamp though". You can move the clamp without turning the sleeve but you did not say that. If you ONLY moved the clamp and the sleeve was not moved at all, tightened or loosened, then you did not change the toe in or the rocking movement tolerance on either tie rod, that is assuming the inner and outer tie rods were set correctly for completely free movement to roll all the way in each direction.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does this mean it should be set up for minimal movement?
No. It should be set up for maximum movement.

I just had an alignment 5 days ago... unfortunately I decided to mess with my ride height after and actually had to turn my adjuster sleeve on one side because they had the clamp bolts hitting my sway bar. Don't think I moved anything but the clamp though...

I'm planning to get another one from a different shop ...
Did you loosen and then re-torque all eight control arm bolts after screwing with the ride-height?

Yes, you'll need another alignment, especially for toe adjustment.

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You said you "turned your adjuster sleeve" and then in the next breath you said, "Don't think I moved anything but the clamp though". You can move the clamp without turning the sleeve but you did not say that. If you ONLY moved the clamp and the sleeve was not moved at all, tightened or loosened, then you did not change the toe in or the rocking movement tolerance on either tie rod,
Sorry. You're right. I just messed with the clamps.

that is assuming the inner and outer tie rods were set correctly for completely free movement to roll all the way in each direction.
Well the driver's side is obviously very limited in movement compared to passenger side. Does that mean the alignment wasn't as good as it could/should have been?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The rolling/rocking at the ends of the inner and outer tie rods should be equal. The adjustment sleeve sets the toe in/out and when clamps are tightened, the alignment guy/girl should make sure there is no binding to the complete rocking/rolling at the ends of each tie rod. Should also be sure there is a bed of grease inside the boots and the boots are in good shape.