Thumping noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97__Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently took my truck to a Complete Auto Care Firestone for them to find a thumping noise when i go over bumps. It sounds like its coming from the passenger front but its too hard to tell and i can feel it by my feet on the drivers side. The techs at Firestone said that it was the wheel bearings in my rearend that was causing the thump and noise. Could this be the problem? The truck has new shocks and all new front end parts. Please help this is driving me crazy!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought my truck it also had new shocks that had just been put on. It had an annoying rattle/thump when driving that I could also feel in the floor on big bumps and both front shock mounting bolts were loose. Try just grabbing the shocks and see if they wiggle, they should be nice and snug with no movement. If they wiggle tighten them up and see if the noise stops. I was actually surprised its what my noise was. I was looking all over the place before I found it.

Last edited:

97__Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I wish that was it. I put the replaced the shocks thinking that's what was causing it but it still does it. I'll check them out again tomorrow.
Oh and thanks for the reply.

97__Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found the problem. The rubber mount that's for the TB cross member on the passenger side is worn out. So i just shimmed it with washers to tighten it up and now its fixed.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cool glad it wasnt inside your axle, im sure estimate wasnt cheap