Throttle body to Carb ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Uneek98

Reaction score
I know this question has been asked numerous times and I've done my research but I have a few questions and would like to get some answers and opinions.

I have an 89 1500 2wd 5.7 auto tranny. The block is supposedly from a 96 but still has the throttle body injection from 89 The original gas tank and fuel pump have been replaced by fuel cell and inline fuel pump. My main question is does it make more sense to buy a 350 with mechanical fuel pump and build it with carb, or replace intake and what else? on my motor to make it carb??

89-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got done doing a carb swap on my 89, but I have a manual trans, so that makes it a little easier. I tossed in an LT1 cam at the same time. It was a worthwhile upgrade IMO.

You must be registered for see images attach

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
I just got done doing a carb swap on my 89, but I have a manual trans, so that makes it a little easier. I tossed in an LT1 cam at the same time. It was a worthwhile upgrade IMO.

You must be registered for see images attach
watch those plug wires, i have tried a few sets of those ages ago and they like to arc through to that braided loom

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
How exactly did you change to the roller cam, did you use siamese lifters or drill/tap for the lifter "spider" like the vortecs and LT1s have? or, do you mean you put an LT1 specced flat tappet cam in there?

89-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wires were left over from my Chevelle. I bought a set of MSD wires, but they were made to run under the headers, and I didn't want to go that route. The braided ones will have to do for now. I got the looms from Jegs about 12 years ago, again for the ZZ4 in my Chevelle, but I don't know if they still sell them. They were made by Spectra I think. The cam slid right in. My block (88 L05) was already drilled and tapped, so I just had to get a cam retainer, timing set, and shorter pushrods. The 95 F-body LT1 cam was in my 88 TPI 305 Camaro for a while, but ended up collecting dust on a shelf. The lifters and retainer were also laying around for the last ten years waiting for a project. They came from the same LT1 the cam did. So far the combo seems pretty smooth and pulls hard to 5K RPM. I haven't pushed it any harder than that yet. I'll be upgrading to Vortec heads down the road, I have a ZZ4 cam from the Chevelle sitting on the shelf to go along with those. :D