throttle body spacers.. combatibility?

throttle body spacers, do they work on MPFI?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benjaminbarton55

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have needed to ask this question, and many others may have as well. I have a spectre cold air intake. The intake tube just snuggs into the original throttle body cover from the stock intake duct. I have heard of throttle body spacers making NO difference towards performance, but I'd like to see my self.. its a habit. Haha. So, what throttle body spacer is combatible with this intake? Or aren't any compatible? Its a 98 mpfi 5.7 350. I know people say that its pointless on a mpfi engine to even try these, but I want to know for myself.

Also some insight from first hand expiriences of those who have tried them on MPFI (MULTI PORT FUEL INJECTION) would also be appreciated.

Ben

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
This one from Airaid should work.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Airaid/028/200-520/10002/-1?parentProductId=

The only reason I could see any gains from one on a MPFI setup would be the spirals inside the bore. It's supposed to make the air more turbulent as it comes in. Spacing the throttle body up 1" will do nothing except make the air flow further. No performance gains there that I could see. Just my .02.

Take a look at this, it should result in the same turbulent air entering the intake, but it's a whole lot cheaper than a spacer. I put one on my truck, but I installed it along with a ported and polished TB, so I can't say for sure how much the booster did all by itself.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Airaid/028/1018/10002/-1

I can't speak for experience on TB spacers on the 96+ Vortec motors, I have one on my 94' TBI and it did seem to help out some in the low end.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
All you'd be doing is increasing your plenum volume....

All "spiraling" the air flow does nothing except mess up the design characteristics an intake. If you're lucky it does nothing but give you the pacebo effect. If you're unlucky it costs you a few hp/mpg.

Might as well toss in one of those "tornado" things off ebay...

Last edited:

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Throttle body spacers function like carb spacers do and as great white said, add plenum volume. A throttle body works exactly as a carb does as far as a general method of fogging gas into the plenum, it is just more controllable. MPFI works on a much different principle. Now that said, it may do something on a MPFI, but I don't see what.

benjaminbarton55

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I read, I agree. I'm going to test our theories out real soon and post results on horsepower gains/losses. I have a dyno at votech school and I can perhaps lost real dyno diagnostics. Have to clear it up with the autotech instructor first.

benjaminbarton55

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This one from Airaid should work.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Airaid/028/200-520/10002/-1?parentProductId=

The only reason I could see any gains from one on a MPFI setup would be the spirals inside the bore. It's supposed to make the air more turbulent as it comes in. Spacing the throttle body up 1" will do nothing except make the air flow further. No performance gains there that I could see. Just my .02.

Take a look at this, it should result in the same turbulent air entering the intake, but it's a whole lot cheaper than a spacer. I put one on my truck, but I installed it along with a ported and polished TB, so I can't say for sure how much the booster did all by itself.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Airaid/028/1018/10002/-1

I can't speak for experience on TB spacers on the 96+ Vortec motors, I have one on my 94' TBI and it did seem to help out some in the low end.

Thanks for the information man.. very intresting.. ccan you tell me what the difference between a TB spacer and a TB booster is? I've never heard or even knew this type existed. And its so much cheaper.. and you placed one on your truck you said?

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Thanks for the information man.. very intresting.. ccan you tell me what the difference between a TB spacer and a TB booster is? I've never heard or even knew this type existed. And its so much cheaper.. and you placed one on your truck you said?

A spacer will space the throttle body up off the intake, normally by 1". This gives the air more velocity, and when combined with the spirals inside the bore to make the air more turbulent, supposedly you get more horsepower. At least that's the way I understand it.

The booster I posted a link to is just a stamped piece of sheet metal with spirals designed to make the air more turbulent. Same effect as the spirals in the bore as the TB Spacer, at least that's the theory anyway. Hope that helps clear things up.

I did install one on my truck. For $30 I figured why not. Not sure it really helped any, like I said I installed it along with my new TB so I can't say for sure how much the booster did all by itself.

I'd love to see some dyno numbers on this. If you could post some up here that'd be fantastic!

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
From what I read, I agree. I'm going to test our theories out real soon and post results on horsepower gains/losses. I have a dyno at votech school and I can perhaps lost real dyno diagnostics. Have to clear it up with the autotech instructor first.

Great if you can do it. Here's what we want.

1. Results from stock configuration.
2. Results from resonator removal mod.
3. Results from resonator removal and throttle blade lip removal mod.
4. Results with above mods and spacer.

This would be highly interesting to see what (if any) gains are achieved from these. You might not solve world hunger or cure cancer, but you'd clear up some questions here.