<-- this girl is desprate for advice! 2-3" Lift Kit on 95' K1500 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevyblaze

Reaction score
I am desperate for some knowledgeable Chevy Guys. So far you Guys seem like the ones I need to hear from.

I have had a 2wd 73' Chevy Blazer for a few years now. Had a brand new engine dropped in, as well as some serious cash dumped into the sound system, but otherwise she's simple as can be and I can handle it all myself. A girls dream.

Recently I was given a sweet little 95' K1500 4wd with a 3" body lift. I just graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering and decided that I could take on a Rough Country 2-3" lift kit on my own and now I am so far into this project, $ and time wise, I'm about to call it quits.

Here it goes -

The front was in bad shape, upper a arms had large stress cracks and very worn bushings, as well has bad upper and lower ball joints. Being impatient and looking for a summer project, I bought the Rough Country 2-3" lift kit with add a leafs because it comes with the upper arms with preinstalled ball joints.

Link to the RCX kit: http://www.roughcountry.com/chevy_4wd_88-98_2-3.html

The worst part was the removal of the torsion keys, which After hours of air hammering the bars, I ended up just removing the lower a arms, and finally got the torsion bars out, cleaned and replaced with the new keys on them.

Once everything was done it looked awesome, rode a little rough, but when I took it in for alignment, they did not have enough 'play' to set the camber where it should be but set me up as best they could, even cut out a slot for the upper a arm bolt to give it a little more and suggested that I find some type of drop bracket for the upper a arms.

Driving home after the half ass alignment, the passenger side has a violent bump that corresponds with the driving speed, but stops when turning.

Anyway, after dealing with rough country, and 2 different alignment shops, I currently have the torsion keys lowered almost all of the way, had to cut out the bump stops under the upper a arms because they were basically laying on them, and had to replace the pitman arm and idler arm.

Any thoughts on what my next game plan should be? I'm getting tight on cash, but also desperate to have this truck running.

There are two pics attached

Let me know if I can clarify anything.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 136
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 168

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I don't know if you're talking about the suspension or what, but some gap guards would look good.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
That rough country kit is notorious for riding rough and causing problems. Honestly, my best advice would be to remove the kit and go with stock front end components, or if you have the money and want a lift, upgrade to Rough Country's 4" or 6" kit ( the only difference is an add-a-leaf in the 6" kit). Good luck and I hope you get everything sorted out soon!

p.s. I've heard that the RCX 6" kit is on sale right now through a member on Full Size Chevy who is a dealer, let me go see if I can the guy and I'll post a link

EDIT: found it http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/offroad/498816-rough-country-12.html
oneloudz71 is the guy you'll want to message and he'll get back with you on a price, $765 is the number i heard

Last edited:

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Ok here goes.

1. Welcome to the forum and nice truck.
2. I am majoring in mechanical engineering, it's an awesome field.
3. Where are you located?

As mentioned, that kit is notorious for problems. I'm not exactly sure why but it always has problems, I hate to say it, but that kit was an honest waste of money for the OBS Chevy Trucks (88-98). The problem is, that you're only going to get about .5" more lift out of that kit than the factory suspension will give you. the problem with that kit lies in the geometry the kit puts the suspension in, but I'm going to give you a small run down of OBS front suspension.

Torsion keys go into the lower control arms. When the keys are turned up, it pushes the outside of the lower control arms down, gaining "lift".

The factory suspension has enough room to crank the factory keys litterally as high (or low) as the suspension will go SAFELY.

That "3 Inch lift kit" is basically a big band-aid. It relocates the lower control arm mounts down some, to supposedly achieve more "lift". In actuallity, it changes the geometry of the control arms, and spaces the mounts farther apart than they were from the factory.. Because the geometry is Changed, the alignment problem is caused.

The alignment shims are made to be able to move the upper control arm in and out to make the tires run "flat" (not leaning in or out).

Since the lower control arm is pushed down and the upper arm isn't, it pushes the bottom farther out. To fix that, the upper control arm would have to be pushed out farther than the factory alignment tabs will go.

There are a few fixes for this.

1. Remove the kit (I recommend this highly... I know it sucks undoing it, but that kit is doing more harm than it is good.)
2. I've HEARD there are aftermarket alignment shims you can buy, or you can knock off the small tabs inside the alignment shim on the upper control arm. (I don't know anything about this option as I have never done it, only heard of it.)

In my opinion, I'd remove the kit and if possible return it, and use the money to rebuild the factory front suspension. Like ball joints, iddler arm, pitman arm, tie rods, and wheel bearings. All depending on what parts are needed.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
If yer just lookin to fit those MT tires I would suggest stock suspension with a 2"-3" body lift. BTW You got a real nice ride there.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
I bought that kit for my truck and returned it the next day lol. Your best bet would be to get a 4" kit to make everything right.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
she said she already has a 3 inch body lift.

if it aint working call rough country, they wouldn't make some crap you can't align, others have it and they have no isues. It aint the best kit in the wordl it's basically overpriced torsion bar crank and you can do that with stock stuff for free.

JParker2012

Freedom isn't FREE
Reaction score
Nice truck, and as stated contact rough country and see what they can do for you, if anything see if they will take the kit back and give you credit towards a 4 or 6 inch lift. ;)

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
p.s. I've heard that the RCX 6" kit is on sale right now through a member on Full Size Chevy who is a dealer, let me go see if I can the guy and I'll post a link

EDIT: found it http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/offroad/498816-rough-country-12.html
oneloudz71 is the guy you'll want to message and he'll get back with you on a price, $765 is the number i heard

SON OF A B****!!!!!! I was just on that website a little more than a week ago and didn't see anything about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.