thinking of a 350 swap, little info needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
good info wanted to make sure when I see ppl looking to do the swap i get the right info.

Charby

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
called the guy and he sayd he was busy so im supose to pick up my block tomorow nawit worked out perfect, i just picked up a parts truck that has a 350 in it crank bearings are gone the guy sayd and its allready pulled sitting in the box of the truck naw i have all my parts!! ill have to send the valves out just to freshen them up,,

question,, id like to throw a mild cam into it while im building it, but i dont know the slitest bit about these things soo, im going to let you guys pick out a cam for my truck !:p tell me whitch one and y and hopefuly show me a site that will ship to canada haha thanks guys !

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
anytime you change cam in a tbi or computer controlled vehile you have to get a custom tune done.

Charby

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
got the motor today ! gotta love free stuff! block has freshley honed pistons and new rings,,

how can i clean the block ? he just got it honed dident clean up the block.. can i sandblast it?
he also sayd that there are new crank bearings in it,, how can i check if there new?
when you rebuild a motor should you change the crank? it doesent look like he did..
You must be registered for see images attach

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
usually I just clean blocks with degreaser carb cleaner brake cleaner whatever, BUT only if it's a bare block, not carb or brake clean on anything getting reused like bearings rings etc. Use degreaser and it'll be safe, even straight kerosene works great, and a wire brush or drill powered wire brush.

As for a rebuild NO the crank does NOT AHVE to be changed UNLESS it's out of round, scarred up bad etc.

Take it out, take it to a machine shop, have it mic'd and see if it's within spec, if so and it's not grooved up or whatever(they'll tell you whether you can or not and what size) reuse it, and buy bearings that fit it. if it's bad local parts stores sell a crank kit, advance, autozone etc. runs around $150-200 and comes with crank and all bearings.

As for new bearings in your motor, yea they should be, if they honed the thing and did all that they'd be idiots not to.

Now with that said, don't re use them, if it's apart check things and make sure it's gonna last, don't get cheap. New bearings is less then $50 for a full set, rings you might reuse but again they are cheap, like less then $50 a set, buy new ones, oil pump buy a new one period, it's like $15-20. Timing set, if it's not a roller cam,(not sure on roller cam timing set prices) they are cheap like under $20 replace it too. it just saves money and work later.
Get yourself a good gasket set as well. Shop around, I got my stuff from summit, northern auto parts and local from advance. I just went with whoever had it cheapest.

Now something I found out doing mine, there's 3 different ring grooves, a deep, a shallow, and mid. I bought the wrong ones at first, got the right ones second time, might see if you can check them at the machine shop or something so you get the right ones the first time.

Charby

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you thats exactialy what i was lookin for!!:) when im shopping for parts am i lookin for parts for a ls1 engine? Or a 350 chev the block is a 96 vortec 5.7

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you are looking for parts for a 96 350 chevy vortec is only the heads, ls1 is a whole other thing like lt1 is another thing. You just want to find chevy 350 stuff for a 96 model 1 piece rms and vortec heads.