think i can still save it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
I read about y'all doing your own work all the time, but this is what, motor #37? How many times have you had that thing out? It may be time to consider professional work with a warranty.

never had this motor out its my 88 that i keep changin motors all the time

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I wouldn't put any money into a 305 IMO. If you can do the job for $250, I would be impressed, but honestly it could also be $250 wasted completely. I can't speak for your financial situation, and I agree that 1800 for a used vortec is ridiculous. You would be a fool to pay that much for a motor. Buy a whole truck for that.

If it was me, and you couldn't find any engine (or parts truck) any cheaper and didn't have enough money to spring for a crate 350, I would really seriously consider just buying another truck. Your frame is already a problem, correct? Sounds very similar to my situation this past fall. Had a truck I sank a lot of money into, with a bad frame, and then the motor started knocking.
I parked it and bought my 3/4 ton for $1200 complete, on the road. Kept my old one for parts. Best decision I made.

Just my 2 cents. I understand if money is tight, but I would really consider my options before putting any money into that engine. Hopefully you get 'er sorted out man.

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
if its a 4x4 ...drop the front axle and pan do a bearing swap in a afternoon....been there, done that, and its not a big deal...there is no motor pulling drama...

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
I wouldn't put any money into a 305 IMO. If you can do the job for $250, I would be impressed, but honestly it could also be $250 wasted completely. I can't speak for your financial situation, and I agree that 1800 for a used vortec is ridiculous. You would be a fool to pay that much for a motor. Buy a whole truck for that.

If it was me, and you couldn't find any engine (or parts truck) any cheaper and didn't have enough money to spring for a crate 350, I would really seriously consider just buying another truck. Your frame is already a problem, correct? Sounds very similar to my situation this past fall. Had a truck I sank a lot of money into, with a bad frame, and then the motor started knocking.
I parked it and bought my 3/4 ton for $1200 complete, on the road. Kept my old one for parts. Best decision I made.

Just my 2 cents. I understand if money is tight, but I would really consider my options before putting any money into that engine. Hopefully you get 'er sorted out man.

im workin on making the money to buy another truck... tuff without a job i may have got my mt classic 2 sold for 300 bucks thursday so now i just need to sell my tires and maybe some other parts and i can pick up this http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/3643495009.html

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
if its a 4x4 ...drop the front axle and pan do a bearing swap in a afternoon....been there, done that, and its not a big deal...there is no motor pulling drama...

thought about it but ive pretty much decided at this time that im not gonna fix it

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
i am planning on sellin them at somepoint but im not sure when i wanna buy some mirrors with the markers in the side