think i can still save it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
With that kind of mileage, and it only being a 305, I think you would be better off picking up a 350 Crate motor from Jegs and dropping it in.

A crank, bearings and maybe machine work will run you atleast a grand. You have to do the same amount of work to pull the motor out. Not Sure the cost of a Vortec motor though.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
With that kind of mileage, and it only being a 305, I think you would be better off picking up a 350 Crate motor from Jegs and dropping it in.

A crank, bearings and maybe machine work will run you atleast a grand. You have to do the same amount of work to pull the motor out. Not Sure the cost of a Vortec motor though.

used vortec around here go for 1800 plus cant afford that much and a crate motor is to much i can get a crank kit for my truck for like 175 i just need something to get me by for awhile

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
No way to tell until you crack it open....however, unless that's valvetrain noise it's almost always terminal when the bottom end knocks.

Whatever you do, do not run it any more (not at all!) if you want to have any hope of trying to salvage it....

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
i would drop the pan first and look at the bearings...polish the crank by hand and install new bearings as long as you haven't spun a bearing and wiped out a crank ...rod bearing are the noise more than likely
i have done that in my 305 tbi and got an extra year out of it

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
used vortec around here go for 1800 plus cant afford that much and a crate motor is to much i can get a crank kit for my truck for like 175 i just need something to get me by for awhile

See, the thing is; it could be mains or rod.

Usually it's a rod bearing.

That almost always is a spun bearing which lunches the rod journal.

By the time you get a crank and new bearings in there, you'll wish you would have just rebuilt it.

Hear you on the cash flow problems. But you're going to have more than 175 bucks into it by the time you're done.

It's not like you can drop the oil pan and just swap out the crank. It has to come out of the truck and the whole bottom end comes off.

Oil fluids, gaskets, broken parts, etc.

I'd be surprised as heck if you only spent 175 bucks. Closer to 500 (maybe more) is a more likely number....

*edit* typing at the same time as teh above poster it seems! LOL.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score

WOW!! Used motors around here rarely go over 1000. here. Last Crank I bought was 13 years ago and that cost me over 300 for a plain jain 350 crank. But I can see your preditament. Good luck on the rebuild then

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
See, the thing is; it could be mains or rod.

Usually it's a rod bearing.

That almost always is a spun bearing which lunches the rod journal.

By the time you get a crank and new bearings in there, you'll wish you would have just rebuilt it.

Hear you on the cash flow problems. But you're going to have more than 175 bucks into it by the time you're done.

It's not like you can drop the oil pan and just swap out the crank. It has to come out of the truck and the whole bottom end comes off.

Oil fluids, gaskets, broken parts, etc.

I'd be surprised as heck if you only spent 175 bucks. Closer to 500 (maybe more) is a more likely number....

*edit* typing at the same time as teh above poster it seems! LOL.

i can pull the motor myself and me and my dad can do the bearings hes done them before so thats not a big deal but im thinking i can do it for about 250 ish

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I read about y'all doing your own work all the time, but this is what, motor #37? How many times have you had that thing out? It may be time to consider professional work with a warranty.