The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My '97 350 vortec has begun to have a loud knock that speeds up as you accelerate and slows down at idle. Any ideas on what's gone out? I've got to get this fixed asap.
Well it's kind of hard to say, but can you tell if it's deep inside the motor, if so then it's probably time for an engine rebuild!

Silverado9798

Reaction score
Well it's kind of hard to say, but can you tell if it's deep inside the motor, if so then it's probably time for an engine rebuild!

I'm not exactly sure where the knock is coming from but it sounds to me like the top end, the valves maybe. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
My stupid air cleaner question!

Recently bought and installed a Mr.Gasket Air cleaner on my 92 5.7L. During the installation I didn't have the clearance to remove the gold ring above the throttle body. Would I need a tbi spacer to have the clearance or is it possible to make room for the air cleaner without a spacer?

GordonCustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi I'm looking at getting a cam shaft for my stock 98 K1500 with a 5.7 vortec, but i need to know what kind i already have, is it a Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Solid Flat Tappet, Hydraulic Roller, or a Solid Roller type.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vortecs use a hydraulic roller cam

Demory

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Got a few simple questions. I'm driving a 1994 2wd 4.3l 1500 w/t. The k model I believe. I'm wanting to possibly put 18s on it. So first off..will 18s fit with stock suspension? Without rubbing etc? Second.. I find that the 4.3 vortec motor with an auto transmission was a bad move on Chevys part. The truck is very sluggish. So any suggestions on power upgrades for that motor? I know that my 98 s10 would scream and it had that motor.. Any advice would be great.

Thanks. :)

Josh

danman6677

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hers a good question: Do you need a puller for the front of the AC compressor, i removed the nut in the middle but it wont budge, cant remove the bolts.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Yea, you can rent a puller for it. You'll probably bend it so make sure it's straight before you replace the bearing and re install it.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Got a few simple questions. I'm driving a 1994 2wd 4.3l 1500 w/t. The k model I believe. I'm wanting to possibly put 18s on it. So first off..will 18s fit with stock suspension? Without rubbing etc? Second.. I find that the 4.3 vortec motor with an auto transmission was a bad move on Chevys part. The truck is very sluggish. So any suggestions on power upgrades for that motor? I know that my 98 s10 would scream and it had that motor.. Any advice would be great.

Thanks. :)

Josh

Yea, a 255/55/R18 tire is the same height (negligible % difference) than stock.

You must be registered for see images attach

You're basically SOL as far as upgrading the engine much.