The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone run into problems with LMC parts? Wouldn't deleting the AC help the engine run a little better? Suggestions on cheaper parts you would trust on your truck, or input about anything gmt400 related is appreciated!

I’d suggest buying only when you can see what brand/manufacturer it is that you’re getting. LMC doesn’t make anything, they’re just a retailer and I don’t think that they identify the part brand in their catalog.

Rockauto is a good source.

Generally (and maybe it’s just bad luck) I’ve had a terrible experience with the majority of aftermarket parts - particularly the lowest priced ones.

If it plugs in or bolts onto something, I’d usually pick an ACDelco/GM factory part. Slightly cheaper would be their Professional line which usually isn’t a bad compromise (except for steering gears). Cheapest is their Advantage line which, to me, isn’t much different than any lowest-bidder part that you get with Autozone Valucraft or the like.

Anything made by Dorman gives me gas, lol.

For an alternator, I’d try to buy a new versus a reman. That’s one of the things that buying local may have a benefit as you can quickly return it.

I’ll get off my soapbox now, good luck with the repairs!

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! Completely forgot about rock auto, I'll check them out.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone run into problems with LMC parts? Wouldn't deleting the AC help the engine run a little better?

As per below...

Considering the pulley on the compressor freewheels like a bypass pulley unless the A/C is engaged, no, technically it won't change anything.

.....but if you go further and remove the condenser the engine radiator has fist dibs on airflow which may help cooling and eliminating all the plumbing in the engine bay frees up some space which helps when you're working on other stuff there.

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks again for the reminder to check out rock auto. Their prices are much cheaper for the stock replacement parts!

Like thumbing though LMCs catalog to invision our build, but boy are they spendy. Other than jegs or summit...are there any TBI performance oriented Part companies I should check out?

Also thanks for the input regarding the AC. Going to order all the parts, and start working on her this weekend.

ShaneM

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys, first post I think. I recently purchased the 2 door Tahoe I had 20 years ago. It’s a 99 Z-71 Sport LT, a desirable combination. Miles 186K. Trans just rebuilt. Engine leaking so much you might as well rebuild. However I am considering a crate engine upgrade instead. It’s my understanding that the 60E trans in this Tahoe, even with my minor beefing up with the rebuild, won’t survive even a modest upgrade in HP. So it appears my options are just rebuild the engine and leave it stock, or go full bore and swap the engine and trans even though the trans is just rebuilt. Thoughts?