The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigdaveberg

Reaction score
Yeah, it's shaped somewhat similar to an O2 sensor if i remember correctly, on the 350 it's to the left of the center of tbi....passenger side front of tbi is where it should be. I think it takes like a 22mm or somewhere in that size range, or an adjustable wrench(aka crescent wrench). Be careful and use a tad bit of loctite when reinstalling, mine came out with what looked like white lithium grease on the threads....it was either lightweight loc-tite or it WAS lithium grease. Since there is really no heat in that area, using the black/blue/red loctite should be fine, but I would get confirmation on that before you go to permanently affixing your IAC back into your tbi, lol. When you get it out, just use carb cleaner to spray it out really good....cotton swabs are ok but make sure to not let any lint stay in there.

What year t/a you got? I got a couple that are currently just backyard blunders(old projects that got knocked off the back burner). They're an 81 and 80. 80 is black with gold phoenix and 81 is bronze with black phoenix.

Do you know the location on a 305? Cause my truck does similar to his.

itst9

Reaction score
I have been reading around and can figure out what an "ultimate TBI mod" consists of. Can someone explain this to me. Thanks

ThatDrummerGuy95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm 16 and new to this whole thing. I just got a 97 Tahoe LT 4wd w/Barn Doors. I want to put an exhaust on it with great tone and some volume. I want the deep, growling, rumbling, ground-shaking sound. I would like some volume on it, but not at the sacrifice of the tone. Quality>Quantity in a sense. Can you guys give me any pointers/input? Please and thanks! -Jesse

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Almost any good quality high flow performance muffler will do what you want, IF you dump it under the body before the rear axle. As for tone that is personal preference. I like my delta 40 FlowMaster, some don't like the drone. I do, although it is tough on long trips.

ThatDrummerGuy95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more question, it was leaking anti-freeze for a while. The other day, it finally blew out and anti-freeze was EVERYWHERE. I got it towed home, looked at it, yadda-yadda-yadda. I thought it was a cracked head gasket, then I was told it was the Intake Manifold Gasket. I know this is a common problem, but, is that really the problem? I poured in anti-freeze and it just pours right out of the engine where the valve cover meets the block on the passenger side. Any ideas or is it an Intake Manifold Gasket? Any help is greatly appreciated. Please and thanks. -Jesse

tj stone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree its probably the intake gaskets. These vortecs are very prone to this issue. I've done 2 sets on mine