The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lio45

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick answers!

I'm aware the 6.5 isn't ideal. I also own a '94 7.3 IDI turbodiesel (pre-PowerStroke) SRW F350 with 4.10s and the ZF-5, but my seat-of-the-pants feeling, having compared both my trucks over the years in different towing situations, is that it isn't so much better than the 6.5 for towing, in spite of being more appropriate on paper and in people's opinions. Have I missed something?

My own experience with those, and also towing my stuff with a PowerStroke early 2000s SuperDuty for a while, is that my 6.5 is actually not that inadequate for towing. And I prefer GMT400s (which is something you guys should like to hear). So I'd rather keep it, and try to make it a better towing rig...

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick answers!

I'm aware the 6.5 isn't ideal. I also own a '94 7.3 IDI turbodiesel (pre-PowerStroke) SRW F350 with 4.10s and the ZF-5, but my seat-of-the-pants feeling, having compared both my trucks over the years in different towing situations, is that it isn't so much better than the 6.5 for towing, in spite of being more appropriate on paper and in people's opinions. Have I missed something?

My own experience with those, and also towing my stuff with a PowerStroke early 2000s SuperDuty for a while, is that my 6.5 is actually not that inadequate for towing. And I prefer GMT400s (which is something you guys should like to hear). So I'd rather keep it, and try to make it a better towing rig...

i would start with changing your s code to the f code upgrades and then go with a a-team turbo or there are a few others listed on dieselplace that others are using, i just use the gm-8 on mine as its a daily driver and really only tows once a year.

personally i would skip the dual tires unless you have a sliding issue while turning where the trailer wants to push more than turn, just run single range e tires and 4:10 gears with a 10.5 rear and heavier springs or even the dually overload setup and pretty much should handle what you need it to, just won't win any races doing it.

and if not aware, make sure the egt's stay under 1100 and temp does not go above 210 at least not prolonged, the 6.5 loves to crack cylinders and heads when it hits that point.

missinglinc

Reaction score
Im looking to SAS my truck and theres a guy on CL locally selling a lot of the parts, this is from the ad:

Selling:
Brand New.. Never installed ORD SAS kit (32.5 spring width) for a chevy tahoe or surburban 92 thru 99, GMC yukon or suburban 92 thru 99, Chevy silverado k1500 k2500 k3500 88 thru 98, GMC k1500 k2500 k3500 serria 88 thru 98, kit consists of front hanger (low profile adds 3" of lift) two rear shackle perches with shackles with all hardware included brand new in bags. 300$$

A set of stock k30 front leaf springs from 78/79 3+3 pickup 150$$ for the pair.

In my other adds I am selling a 1 ton ford dana 60 high pinion king pin style front axle with high steer arms (both sides driver and passenger 32.5 spring pad width) axle needed for this conversion.

Dana 44 front axle from a 79 F150 (low pinion ball joint leaf spring 32.5 spring pad width) this axle has been converted to chevy 6 lug pattern, using stock d44 ford inner axles with new universals and stock chevy outer shafts. This axle has new warn locking hubs and brand new calipers and pads (never installed brand new in boxes) This axle has the late 70's flat top passenger knuckle tapped and drilled already with the studs and rings .. No high steer arm. There are currently no gears intalled in the axle but I will include a spool with 4:88's with an ARB industructable diff cover. 400$$ (also have the orignal chevy d44 housing included if intrested)

Early 70's flat top passenger side knuckle for a chevy Dana 44 front axle, this IS NOT tapped and drilled. 100$$

Im still going to need the cross-over steering kit correct? Also I could really care less about that spool and 4.88s so Im going to try talking him down a couple hundo, would that be a good price for what all Id be getting?

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Im looking to SAS my truck and theres a guy on CL locally selling a lot of the parts, this is from the ad:

Selling:
Brand New.. Never installed ORD SAS kit (32.5 spring width) for a chevy tahoe or surburban 92 thru 99, GMC yukon or suburban 92 thru 99, Chevy silverado k1500 k2500 k3500 88 thru 98, GMC k1500 k2500 k3500 serria 88 thru 98, kit consists of front hanger (low profile adds 3" of lift) two rear shackle perches with shackles with all hardware included brand new in bags. 300$$

A set of stock k30 front leaf springs from 78/79 3+3 pickup 150$$ for the pair.

In my other adds I am selling a 1 ton ford dana 60 high pinion king pin style front axle with high steer arms (both sides driver and passenger 32.5 spring pad width) axle needed for this conversion.

Dana 44 front axle from a 79 F150 (low pinion ball joint leaf spring 32.5 spring pad width) this axle has been converted to chevy 6 lug pattern, using stock d44 ford inner axles with new universals and stock chevy outer shafts. This axle has new warn locking hubs and brand new calipers and pads (never installed brand new in boxes) This axle has the late 70's flat top passenger knuckle tapped and drilled already with the studs and rings .. No high steer arm. There are currently no gears intalled in the axle but I will include a spool with 4:88's with an ARB industructable diff cover. 400$$ (also have the orignal chevy d44 housing included if intrested)

Early 70's flat top passenger side knuckle for a chevy Dana 44 front axle, this IS NOT tapped and drilled. 100$$

Im still going to need the cross-over steering kit correct? Also I could really care less about that spool and 4.88s so Im going to try talking him down a couple hundo, would that be a good price for what all Id be getting?

you don't want that d44, the low pinion makes all kinds of driveshaft angle issues, its also not a 79 f150 axle , the rare leaf sprung f150 ones were from a club cab and were high pinion, the low pinion leaf sprung axles were f250 highboy axles and there was no highboy in 79.

personally i would get the d60, better off in the long run

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
you don't want that d44, the low pinion makes all kinds of driveshaft angle issues, its also not a 79 f150 axle , the rare leaf sprung f150 ones were from a club cab and were high pinion, the low pinion leaf sprung axles were f250 highboy axles and there was no highboy in 79.

personally i would get the d60, better off in the long run

What actual driveline issues will I have if I used a low pinion Dana60? I only want 4in of lift and leave my body lift on my truck.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
What actual driveline issues will I have if I used a low pinion Dana60? I only want 4in of lift and leave my body lift on my truck.

with only 4" you may have a chance, just the brackets with stock 73-87 spring make 4" lift, at that low i would worry more about oil pan clearance from the pumpkin and clearance of negative arch springs, the other thing is a low pinion 60 would be either a dodge or chevy 60 and requires you to rework the transfercase configuration to run one of those

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
with only 4" you may have a chance, just the brackets with stock 73-87 spring make 4" lift, at that low i would worry more about oil pan clearance from the pumpkin and clearance of negative arch springs, the other thing is a low pinion 60 would be either a dodge or chevy 60 and requires you to rework the transfercase configuration to run one of those

So a Dana 60 out of a 74 Ford highboy is not a low pinion?

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
So a Dana 60 out of a 74 Ford highboy is not a low pinion?

the d44 and 60 back then were all low pinion in the highboy from 67-77, the older ford low pinion d60 if it would happen to have one were course spline axle shafts and closed knuckles and are avoided.

tulsa4x4

Reaction score
OK my stupid question I have a 1994 GMC Sierra K1500 with a busted up 3.73 rear ratio. I have a 3.42 posi rear that I put in it temporarily and was wondering if I could leave the 3.42 in it or do I need to get my 3.73 fixed back up and back under her? Also what is the plus side of having a posi rear end in a 4x4 truck? I want to put a 3-6" lift on this truck. Anything I should consider before putting a lift on it?