ThE OfFiCiaL I'm PaInTin my Own TRuK! WhAt? Thread :crazy:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha I hear you on that. I wouldn't either except the fact it's my truck I can find all the patience I need to make it perfect. The block sanding I want to spend a ton of time on so the final product is just perfection. This is still my work truck and DD though, so I doubt it will end up that great which is fine. As long as it just looks good I'll be okay with it.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
You want to use as little bondo or any other brand of filler as possible, it will crack and if hit it will fall off if it is a big enough area, you want to get every dent pulled as straight as possable and then use filler for the finishing touch

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok great that's what I was planning. I'll snap a pic of my jackknife spot. It's bent slightly in and has maybe 1/8th inch crack that's maybe a couple inches long...That is going to be my main problem in prep. Other than that, body is straight. No rust.

I have been watching a ton of how to video's. Some of them are just hilarious what some of these guys pass for professional painting. What I see though is a ton of different tricks or procedures guys are going through to paint and I'm just unsure the exact steps ok like prep the paint prime then go back and do this then paint and clear then go back and do this, I'm just unsure the exact order of steps. I know it's not that complicated but sometimes things like this can seem overwhelming. What I'm wanting to do is get my exact procedure list that I'm going to go through and then I can go through and analyze each step and perfect it. Then from there it's all practice, patience, and time.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Also when you color sand after paint do not apply pressure to the sandpaper let it do the work for ya cause you can go right through the clear

I have a good friend that has been doing custom painting for about 30yrs. When he does a 'high-end' paint job, he will do 4 coats of clear, as opposed to the usual 3, because he knows that during the process of wet-sanding, more than the average amount of clear will be taken off, striving for that jaw-dropping finish. Something to consider.
I've seen paint jobs done by total greenhorns that would rival a 'professional's'. Mostly because these guys did their homework, & haven't become complacent & lazy, taking shortcuts, due to repetition.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a good friend that has been doing custom painting for about 30yrs. When he does a 'high-end' paint job, he will do 4 coats of clear, as opposed to the usual 3, because he knows that during the process of wet-sanding, more than the average amount of clear will be taken off, striving for that jaw-dropping finish. Something to consider.
I've seen paint jobs done by total greenhorns that would rival a 'professional's'. Mostly because these guys did their homework, & haven't become complacent & lazy, taking shortcuts, due to repetition.

There you go. Exactly what this greeny needs to hear :D I have no qualms about taking the long road on this one but I'm also willing to accept that it will not be perfection. On the clear I will def go that route with 4 coats if I can. I just want that deep deep glossy black. Shiny as can be haha but anyway, I'd also love to have a little metallic or a pearl in it like the some of the newer trucks where they slightly look like a bass boat but not that much metallic...The thing is me and my buddy will likely be using the exact same stuff so it's more of a joint decision I'm sure, so we'll see.

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
everybody does it diff. Just try in beat out as much the crease as you can with a dolly. I will agree on 4 coats of clear as well.

Here is a pic of my hood Ive got 4 coats of clear on mine.
You must be registered for see images attach

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Every paintjob me and my friends dad did we used 4 coats of clear as well but also keel in mind that clear is thin so spray it light pr it will run, also if you use to much clear it will start yellowing your paint, and after finished painting everytime be sure to disassemble the gun and clean it out good or else it will gum up

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Excellent info and excellent looking hood Dev I'm assuming you wet sanded and buffed that hood or "color sanded" not sure of the difference but yeah you just went back to get out all the little rough spots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahuskwulf