ThE OfFiCiaL I'm PaInTin my Own TRuK! WhAt? Thread :crazy:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Yeah I saw your pic after the new paint! Looks great. One thing I have noticed when it comes to freshly painted vehicles is this over inspection if you will. It seems like no matter what, it's never "perfect" by the owner or other people's standards and let me reiterate that I'm not going for a show car paint job but we will be using some damn good stuff and spending 4-5 days prepping each truck so it will come out as good as possible for us to do.

When i was doin body work with my friends dad we would take 2-3 weeks just for body work, then another 2 days primering and wet sanding then get into painting it, then wet sand after all layers of paint were sprayed then clear, then wet sand, then buff

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
I dont wanna bust ur bubble but unless your truck is pretty much perfect than you might wanna rethink the 4-5 days . Id say at least 2 weeks. By the time you figure tear down prepping primmering blocking even more primering blocking then final blocking....yup lots of blocking then actual paint and reassembly

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah...wow I mean I'm not even familiar with all of the steps yet. I'm basically ignorant other than the utmost basics like primer base and clear! lol but my buddy was pretty knowledgable so tomorrow I hope to learn a good bit. Once I can see and do things myself is when I really learn quick...along with developing my own technique and skill...When you say blocking you mean block sanding? And is that all done by hand? You guys feel free to just jump right into whatever and give tips or knowledge you know about painting I will find every last bit interesting and useful for this. If it takes 2 week prepping then so be it! But where are you guys getting that number...2 weeks with how many hours of work would u say each day just so I can understnad your rough figure. Thanks bros

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Yes blocking is block sanding and is done by hand so be prepared to get wore out doing this step. We were taking 2-3 weeks doing body work and was working 5-6 hours a day on it

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be easier to use a sanding machine for that or is there something about doing it by hand that is a must?

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Doing it by hand assures that you dont take off to much filler or primer depending on which step you are on as well as if you get the right block it will bend around the body lines and assure you get everything perfect, if your gonna do it you might as well do it right

aclay

Reaction score
Good luck man! I am going to be painting my truck when I can ever find the time and sweet moola. Just take your time and read up on processes and you'll do fine. If not hell it's just paint sand it off and start again.

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
I use flatboards and Da sanders to get close then block everything by hand its the best way and it sucks. A 2 week time frame is just a guess it all depends on how many dents rust etc you have to fix and get straight. You may not get all dents nice and perfect just makes sure when you use filler dont cake it on thick and dont use to much hardner. Filler is just another tool but its gotta be used properly.

For materials this is what I used on my truck and roundabout pricing
Evercoat filler 30 a gal
Transtar eurathane primer { get a eurathane primer itll pay off down the rd} 80 bucks for 2 quarts + activater 30 bucks
Transtar sealer........freebie
dupont paint around 400 my silver ran a bit higher than my black did
Transtar clear 140 a gal with activater

Also when you color sand after paint do not apply preasure to the sandpaper let it do the work for ya cause you can go right through da clear

I hope this can help ya some

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That did help greatly actually but I still have to get a step by step guide to actually see exactly what all I'll be doing.

I am thinking about having a few tiny dings removed by a pro, otherwise my body is straight and there is no rust! I do have a little jacknife spot on the rear driver's side of the bed but we can bondo that but other than that the body doesn't have any problems! With that given info if any of you guys want to a give a list of what you'd do to prep my truck go ahead! I need to find a step by step guide somewhere that I can follow and familiarize myself with each step and then practice a ton!

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I do not have patience for body work, I have tried several times, I would rather do any other part of a build except that.