TH350 to 700R4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wildbill0088

haulin' the east coast
Reaction score
Messing around with this idea, got an 88 C1500 I may be picking up with a 5.0 and th350 trans in it. Whats involved with swapping it for a 700R4 and what year 700 will work?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will probably have to move the transmission cross member back toward the axle and shorten the driveshaft. You will need a TV cable kit, a lockup kit for the converter, dipstick and torque converter. you can get converters without the lock up part if you don't want to mess with it.

It's not to hard at all. I used a TV made ez kit from bowtie overdrives on my 78. The install was really easy an it has worked great ever since. Look them up as they have a lot of good info on swaps. I'm about ready to pull mine for a 5 spd. Wish you were closer, I'd make you a deal on the whole setup.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are mechanical, the TV cable controls the line pressure an shift points. That is done with a vacuum modulator and another cable in a th350. The lock up stuff is easy to wire up. Just a different brake switch and a vacuum switch so it will unlock when you hit the brakes or put a bunch of load on the motor an the vacuum drops.

No computer needed. :) I have one in my 78 but you will need the same stuff no matter what year your swapping one into.

Wildbill0088

haulin' the east coast
Reaction score
Still not a no dollar swap like I was hoping, got four Squarebody 700R4s kicking around so I figured maybe one of them would work

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still not a no dollar swap like I was hoping, got four Squarebody 700R4s kicking around so I figured maybe one of them would work

They should have all that stuff if you have the trucks they were in. Then it could be a no dollar swap....

Wildbill0088

haulin' the east coast
Reaction score
I had always thought lock up converters were a 4L60E thing but shows how much I know about transmissions lol. Maybe I should be looking for the stuff to put an NV3500 in it and make it a bit more fun to drive haha

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope they were in 700's an even some th350's as well.

You can get a non lockup converter for a 700 but they are really easy to wire up. With out the lockup you'll run about 400 rpm higher than with it.

I'm putting a nv3500 in mine eventually :evillol: I don't know how long it will last an I really don't care :D