tensioner pulley/belt alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Hi guys, Can I assume the tensioner pulley needs to come more "forward"?
It seems like the belt needs to ride a little further back on the pulley? OR perhaps this is within specification?

You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Which engine? I know the 5.7 vortec has a little aluminum spacer washer on the back of the idler pulley (at least mine does, and the belt lines up right). Maybe yours is supposed to have one....

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Hi it is a "tbi" 350...I wonder if that vortec spacer would work? I actually pulled the 2 piece aluminum brackets off a scrap tbi suburban..the idler pulley setup was gone. So perhaps i missed getting it

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Every TBI truck I've had looks like that. It looks perfectly normal.
Yes, I was hoping that is my situation. I just couldn't find any pictures to confirm the belt alignment. I guess since it just applies tension to the belt it doesn't have to totally in the groves.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess since it just applies tension to the belt it doesn't have to totally in the groves.
The tensioner applies pressure to the back of the belt so, there aren't any grooves to worry about. Yours looks normal to me but, I'll go out in an hour or 2, take a picture of mine, and let you know.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I was hoping that is my situation. I just couldn't find any pictures to confirm the belt alignment
Here's a couple pics of mine. The belt is a little further back on the pulley but, IMO yours is OK too. Did you run the engine yet? The belt may settle a little more into the grooves of the A/C compressor and the alternator?

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to produce those pictures! No I haven't run it yet, I did turn it over with the starter for a few revolutions and this caused the belt to be "pushed out" from the tensioner pulley. I also did put 2 washers between the tensioner and the bracket mount (I already did this in the previous picture)..It definitely pushed the pulley outward; before the belt looked like it ran on the outside of the pulley.
I will see how it runs, it would be nice (to reduce my worries) if the belt ran in the "shiny" track area of the tensioner pulley. I will run it as is...
I think the next time I am at the yard, I will look for the tensioner pulley spacer on a vortec and see if it makes a difference.
For reference, (if anyone is reading this thread in the future) it is a left hand thread to remove the tensioner pulley bolt.