TBI wiring chewed up, 93 GMC Sierra 5.7L V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

masher41

Reaction score
Had some chipmunks under the hood of my 93 GMC Sierra 5.7L, chewed up all tbi wiring. Would like to replace the wires vs splicing, having trouble finding a stock harness, any suggestions? Should I just splice/heat shrink?? Opinions?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on the amount of damage. You'll have a hard time finding a new harness, and finding a good used one can be hit or miss as there are some pretty significant variances between year models and equipment. About the only 100% drop-in harness for your truck would be from another 1993 with same type of engine and transmission. Similar models are close and may yield a harness that can be modified easier than your existing one can be repaired, but let's see first just how bad yours is?

Richard

masher41

Reaction score
Depends on the amount of damage. You'll have a hard time finding a new harness, and finding a good used one can be hit or miss as there are some pretty significant variances between year models and equipment. About the only 100% drop-in harness for your truck would be from another 1993 with same type of engine and transmission. Similar models are close and may yield a harness that can be modified easier than your existing one can be repaired, but let's see first just how bad yours is?

Richard
Richard III posted a pic to my original post, it's not a very good pic but you can see some of the damaged wiring. From the sound of your post I should prob plan in a good solder/heat shrink repair.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L5JW5G9/
Buy a bucket of heat-shrink splices. When I was a Nissan tech there was a recall on the VG30 engines, and we routinely replaced the injector wire harness. These were OEM issue for the recall. I've used them for twenty-five years now, and so long as you test the grip of the crimp before you heat-shrink, they're absolutely awesome.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Richard III posted a pic to my original post, it's not a very good pic but you can see some of the damaged wiring. From the sound of your post I should prob plan in a good solder/heat shrink repair.
Looks like they ate your injector wiring and the PCV vacuum tube... is there more damage I'm not seeing?

The injector section is available as a repair pigtail, by the way.

Dorman offers the PCV tube but the rubber boots on it are trash and will fall apart quickly. Some carefully-routed vacuum hose (must be rated for oil/vapor) works just fine as long as you don't get it in a position that it will kink. MUST be rated for oil/vapor or it won't last.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L5JW5G9/
Buy a bucket of heat-shrink splices.
I'd be willing to try something like that. They're two-out-of-three of the way I tend to do things.

My current procedure is to use copper rings that I get from NAPA (but I can't find them on their web site.) Put the wires together, crimp the ring, then solder, then cover with adhesive-lined heat shrink. More work, but crimp-then-solder-then-heat-shrink makes me moist. It's probably irrational.