TBI whipple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A CNC mill and a welder doesn't make everything in the package. Might replace a few missing items if you've got skills, but by the time you're done you might have been far better off buying something that was complete in the first place.

It's easy for it to seem easy, until you get down to doing it. :)

Richard

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if the whippletronics set up is just as crappy with the tbi as it is with the ls versions but if it is then the missing parts might not be so bad. I do agree though that even having fab skills I would rather buy the whole thing.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah but where are you going to find a whole new kit? I mean when was the last one made 12 years ago?

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Yeah but where are you going to find a whole new kit? I mean when was the last one made 12 years ago?

I found mine on Craigslist in Arizona 4 years ago. It was complete except for fuel lines, some hoses, and some of the bolts that came with the original kit. Otherwise, it was all there.

Honestly, man, I'd say that is worth about $500-600, and that's it. I paid $1500 for mine, and it was a complete kit.

Here's what it's missing:
Belt
Hoses to reroute the heater core and water pump through the back of the Whipple (there are two ports by the plate that the throttle body bolts to).
The tensioner pulley and bracket (that would be tough to find, don't know what the tensioner is off of. I could send you pics of mine, but it's not the stock GM one you have)
The main snout bracket.
Pieces of the intake tubing. It isn't supposed to be like that.

Here's a reference pic, you can see the brackets and tubing that he's missing. As for the cooling system hoses, I have a feeling they're stock parts, just maybe from a different vehicle, and that's the tough part, finding out what they're from. You can see the tensioner and bracket below the A/C compressor, and the main snout bracket up top.

You must be registered for see images attach

The only good news about that ad is that it shows the newer style Whipple compressor. Mine is the old autorotor style, which wasn't bad, but I think those are supposed to be better. If you really want it, maybe make an offer. If you need me to, I could probably take the brackets off and have a machine shop look at duplicating them. Might be kind of pricey though, they're aluminum, and the main snout one is two pieces that screw together around the snout of the compressor.

Also, that fuel pressure regulator is the one that came with the kit, but it's crap. I would count on replacing that with an Aeromotive unit. Mine was ~$120.

Mine ended up costing me around $2k when it was all said and done, with an initial purchase of the kit for $1500.