tbi overheating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rum66runner

Reaction score
Okay im stumped first off the truck is a 1991 k2500 tbi 350. Truck is idling at "250" ish if I drive it arou d at slow speeds it will get to the poont of flickering the check gauges if i blast it down the highway it will stay under 260. The fan clutch waterpump belt tensioner thermostat radiator cap is only a few months old. Was running fine threw on a set of headers and 1.6 rr. Which is running great other than the guage reading hot....

I did replace the cts and a broken connector which i added a few inchs of wire when i did (could this be throwing my guage off?).

Im not loosing Coolant... its not boiling over if i flip the pressure relief on my radiator cap just get the normal few second boil then its done . Nothing seems to be iut if the norm other than gauge reading hot. Fresh oil... what do yall think?

rum66runner

Reaction score
Turning the heater on full blast doesnt help...nit does ramp up faster on a cold start (as far as getting the needle to move)

Chisum72

Reaction score
what kind of connector did you use to add wire? You might have some bad resistance in the wiring or grounding out somewhere?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just to be sure, you are talking about the sender in the head and not the one in the intake.

rum66runner

Reaction score
Sensor in the head just butt splice connector btw its a 1 wire with the weather pack connector not the slip on old style. I picked up a mechanical gauge today and im gonna hook it up to the passenger head and see what it reads

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Condenser, and radiator plugged up maybe? Had many trucks and pickups overheat due to dirt, bugs, etc, plugging up the fins. Usually pull the radiator and rinse out thouroughly with hose at low psi, and rinse out the condenser while the radiator is out. Might not be the issue, but it happens a lot and is often overlooked.

rum66runner

Reaction score
Well i put on a mechanical guage and its reading normal like i thought it would guess ill just have to run a new wire when i find some free time. I didnt think it was really overheating cause i flushed the radiator put on a new waterpump thermostat and sd fan clutch when I bought the truck (guy thought it had a blown headgasket turned out he put the intake gasket on backwards when he put in this crate motor practically stole this truck only paid 800). Thanks for all the help I try to browse old threads befor I make a post and havent had to post anything till now.