tbi codes 13 and 44?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WayneJ

Reaction score
Hey guys n gals, im back for another installment of "****, my trucks broken again"
I have a stock tbi 350 in a 94 k1500 with roughly 77k. Truck almost always starts up great and has been running fine for a couple of months since last time she went down. Im driving her from San Diego to California next week and i need her in tip top shape.........My wife still thinks were going to be left stranded somewhere and i cannot let that happen lol.

This is the current issue. Im getting a random cec light and loss of power, and a very very small "lope" when i first start her up for about 10-30sec. The cec comes and goes, and when it goes i have full power again. I jumped the test port and im getting code 13, and code 44. Im hoping this isnt another 02 because if so it will be my 3rd 1 since last spring. ive replaced the tps, fuel pump and filter, swapped the tbi, and egr solenoid. But it will still randomly run lean (usually when under a load like going up a hill) and then clear itself.

I know for a fact that my vacuum is good, Ive done checks a couple months ago when it went down for a clogged catalytic converter. My muffler looks like swiss cheese, and its stock, but i have a gutted cat. Is it possible that there is a lack of back pressure causing the 02 to think its lean?

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lack of back pressure isn't an issue, and won't cause an issue with the O2 that I've ever seen.

The 44 is probably caused by the 13. What kind of O2 sensor did you buy? Certain brands (Bosch) are known for being garbage. Personally, I use NTK/NGK. They work great. You might also check the O2 connector to make sure the connections are good and not corroded. Use dielectric grease when reconnecting the pigtail.

I would also check the Temperature sending unit in the intake manifold. You can use the chart here to test it: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=425788

WayneJ

Reaction score
Lack of back pressure isn't an issue, and won't cause an issue with the O2 that I've ever seen.

The 44 is probably caused by the 13. What kind of O2 sensor did you buy? Certain brands (Bosch) are known for being garbage. Personally, I use NTK/NGK. They work great. You might also check the O2 connector to make sure the connections are good and not corroded. Use dielectric grease when reconnecting the pigtail.

I would also check the Temperature sending unit in the intake manifold. You can use the chart here to test it: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=425788

Yeah unfortunately I am using Bosch's 02, for some reason nobody carries any other kind. There is a little exposed wire behind the pig tail, I'm going to swap in a new sensor today after work and hard wire it in with a bit of extra wire. Thanks, I'll definitely update the thread afterwards!