Tbi 350 exhaust.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

User_name

T.B.I Guy
Reaction score
Hello friends.
This is another "what muffler" discussion.
I have a 1995 c2500 with the tbi 5.7 and nv4500 transmission.
Why is the transmission important? Because it is.
See, I'm looking for a muffler that would be deeper sounding, not like a group of 100+ people clapping when I mash on the go-pedal.
I want something that sounds equally as good when I go to shift gears.
I'm cutting the cat and going from where the cat was and dumping at the rear axle.
Everything before the cat is stock.
I do plan on headers and a better y pipe or duals later (a year from now give or take a few months)
Thank you all for reading and giving some input

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm no expert but there may issue with headers and true duals because there is only one O2 sensor, so you may need to address incorrect O2 reading back to pcm. If you stick with headers and a y pipe you should be ok.

As for a muffler.. no clue, I like my trucks quiet. I had $100 shorty headers and some cheap Autozone mufflers mounted. it was a half assed job just to get the c3500 rolling, but it sounded ok.

On a side note, if anyone buys JBA shorty headers for their truck, I have a brand new JBA header Y-Pipe kit for C/K trucks, that I will never use. (its only for JBA headers)

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a side note, if anyone buys JBA shorty headers for their truck, I have a brand new JBA header Y-Pipe kit for C/K trucks, that I will never use. (its only for JBA headers)
The Y-Pipe (Part Number "JBA-2831 SY" from Summit) worked fine on my Summit Racing (made by Trick Flow) shorty headers. Don't believe everything they say :waytogo:

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m a little weird but follow me on this…

On lowered gmt400 trucks I prefer to dump the exhaust right over the rear end with old school 40 series flows.

On a stock gmt400 dually or a long bed 3/4ton I like glass packs and cowboy tips out the side behind the rear tires.

On SUVs I like really big magnaflow mufflers with a stock or hidden tail pipe.

The exhaust has to fit the look of the truck in my opinion.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On lowered gmt400 trucks I prefer to dump the exhaust right over the rear end with old school 40 series flows.
As long as you don't have to take it in for emissions. IDK about safety inspection but the testing station won't touch it unless the exhaust pipe(s) sticks out from the body/bumper.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In Texas as long as your exhaust is past the cab it can be dumped. Texas also considers turbos as mufflers.

It can not be dumped on cars.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Texas as long as your exhaust is past the cab it can be dumped.
That makes sense. The emissions testing stations are too lazy to crawl under the truck so they can stick the sniffer in the pipe for OBDI vehicles :biggrin:

Texas also considers turbos as mufflers.
Here in Maricopa County AZ I'm running a 3" Borla Pro XS straight through muffler. It didn't bother them the last time, before I got the "Historic Venicle" plate and "Collector Car" insurance. Now I'm exempt ;)

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m a little weird but follow me on this…

On a stock gmt400 dually or a long bed 3/4ton I like glass packs and cowboy tips out the side behind the rear tires.

On SUVs I like really big magnaflow mufflers with a stock or hidden tail pipe.

The exhaust has to fit the look of the truck in my opinion.
I like them to look like GM could have built them that way. Hence an 8.1L GMT800 2500/3500HD replacement muffler and tail pipe.

You must be registered for see images attach