taillight harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

freakshowz

Reaction score
does anyone have part numbers for the entire harness to the back lights? I found one on amazon that appears just for the back lights. I would like to redo the entire wiring from the engine back. I want to click into that port on the right side of the engine ( not sure of the name) and get everything new from there back.. Here is the harness on ebay..

Also what color wire is the stop lights? 95 extended cab k1500 if needed
Thanks in advance

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GM parts diagrams are here…

You might have to dig around a bit to get the part numbers. You’ll need to match it with the chassis codes in the middle column of the tables, K107(53) in your case for a half-ton SWB extended cab.

You must be registered for see images attach

denverdriveby

Reaction score
I appreciate this post and entire website, thank you everyone.

I've got a 1991 k3500 454 4x4 auto trans with aftermarket knapheide service bed. I'm about to rewire the truck from cab back to rear tail lights & license plate light. Previous owner had added numerous aftermarket clearance lights hacking into the knapheide wire harness and its time to rip out all that junk bad wiring and start over.

Knapheide service bed uses aftermarket 4" round LED tail lights which have their own 3pin plugs much different than the GM factory tail lights. I would like to order GM Factory style tail light + license light harness as shown in picture and then find the matching tail light female style tail lights deutsch connectors that match factory tail light harness. Can any of you point me in right direction how to order correct tail light connectors so I can connect to the 4" round tail lights?

Also, where can I order the body wire harness from cab to rear tail light harness?

Also wondering why factory wire schematic for tail lights shows different color wires than all of the tail light harness for sale?

I'm trying to make my old truck as easily serviceable easy to work on as possibe keeping wiring and components as factory spec as possible

I appreciate your comments and feedback

- dutch / Colorado

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I appreciate this post and entire website, thank you everyone.

I've got a 1991 k3500 454 4x4 auto trans with aftermarket knapheide service bed. I'm about to rewire the truck from cab back to rear tail lights & license plate light. Previous owner had added numerous aftermarket clearance lights hacking into the knapheide wire harness and its time to rip out all that junk bad wiring and start over.

Knapheide service bed uses aftermarket 4" round LED tail lights which have their own 3pin plugs much different than the GM factory tail lights. I would like to order GM Factory style tail light + license light harness as shown in picture and then find the matching tail light female style tail lights deutsch connectors that match factory tail light harness. Can any of you point me in right direction how to order correct tail light connectors so I can connect to the 4" round tail lights?

Also, where can I order the body wire harness from cab to rear tail light harness?

Also wondering why factory wire schematic for tail lights shows different color wires than all of the tail light harness for sale?

I'm trying to make my old truck as easily serviceable easy to work on as possibe keeping wiring and components as factory spec as possible

I appreciate your comments and feedback

- dutch / Colorado

Not sure why you've chosen the SUV taillight harness but likely it's very similar or possibly the same as the pickup harness. Since it connects near the end of the driver side frame rail and has the same lighting arrangement as a pickup - 2 "combination" lights (tail, turn, brake, reverse), and 2 tag lights... it should work for your purposes.

That 1991 Suburban (R/V body style, meaning squarebody) wiring diagram won't be the same as your 1991 K3500 truck because it's from the previous generation of trucks. Suburbans didn't go to the GMT400 body style until 1992. Look your truck up instead.

The harness from cab front to end of frame rail for the lighting is probably only available from GM, if it's available at all. However, it's a simple enough harness you should be able to repair it or even make your own if you still have the connectors.

Those 4" round taillights are probably PL-3 connectors - do they look like this on the back?

You can get the pigtails for those pretty much anywhere, just look up PL-3 pigtail, PL-3 connector, etc. Just found them for $5 each at amazon.

Wiring colors on the harness are pretty easy to follow. Yellow is left turn (and brake.) Dark green is right turn (and brake.) Light green is reverse. Brown is tail and tag. Black of course is ground.

Richard

denverdriveby

Reaction score
Not sure why you've chosen the SUV taillight harness but likely it's very similar or possibly the same as the pickup harness. Since it connects near the end of the driver side frame rail and has the same lighting arrangement as a pickup - 2 "combination" lights (tail, turn, brake, reverse), and 2 tag lights... it should work for your purposes.

That 1991 Suburban (R/V body style, meaning squarebody) wiring diagram won't be the same as your 1991 K3500 truck because it's from the previous generation of trucks. Suburbans didn't go to the GMT400 body style until 1992. Look your truck up instead.

The harness from cab front to end of frame rail for the lighting is probably only available from GM, if it's available at all. However, it's a simple enough harness you should be able to repair it or even make your own if you still have the connectors.

Those 4" round taillights are probably PL-3 connectors - do they look like this on the back?

You can get the pigtails for those pretty much anywhere, just look up PL-3 pigtail, PL-3 connector, etc. Just found them for $5 each at amazon.

Wiring colors on the harness are pretty easy to follow. Yellow is left turn (and brake.) Dark green is right turn (and brake.) Light green is reverse. Brown is tail and tag. Black of course is ground.

Richard
Everything you said was very helpful!

denverdriveby

Reaction score
Tested all my wire harness repairs yesterday after work....and everything works! That's a good feeling :)

Thank you all for your contributions to this very cool website, I've learned an immense amount from all of you

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you get the OE service manuals for your truck? There here in the forum , your year so you get the exact info you need.

denverdriveby

Reaction score
Thank you!! I found the forum link to service manuals! I'm replacing exterior door handles and rod clips so this will be very helpful!