Tailgate latches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Alright, this is more for people down south.. i bought a tailgate off a 90's truck so its got the steel tailgate holder(not sure what its called) instead of the wire. the box off my truck is a box off a 94 and up truck. So basicly im looking for the receiving end of the latches attached to the box. does anyone have some that are in good shape? or if anyone is heading to the pick n pull, can they grab me some?

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
i did the conversion on mine and i am pretty sure i used the same cable stud mounts to hook on the arm style, i may have needed to file the groove just a hair because it was tight

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
i never looked to check if i can file anything to make it work.. i just remember the arms being pushed out to far or something not lining up

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
it does work, i just went out to my 88 and looked at what i did there, it has a 94 shortbox on it with the 88 tailgate, i didnt see any filing marks but i remember it was originally tight and had to work the arms a bit back and forth for it to loosen up.

i did the same thing to my old 94 after a had the cable snap while i had a foot on the tailgate and was carrying myself a damn heavy ford e40d trans(with the extra driveline brake) off of one truck and into mine

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
lol, ok ill have a look again tomorrow! i got my relocating latch put in and the new cover welded in.. just gottsa get it fitting nice and start the body work on the tailgate!

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
just swap em thats what I did I would rather have the cables so I took the ones off mine and put em on the new gate that had the metal arms

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
It does work, I did it on mine a couple months ago. My '92 had cable style, but the tailgate I got was from a '89 I think. I took the dremel to the eyeholes on the steel straps and made them a little bigger, as well as to the sides to make them a hair narrower. A little convincing and they went on and work just fine.