Tailgate latch replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
I have to squeeze the rods behind my handle together to get my tailgate to open. What needs to be replaced & what kind of a pain is it to do?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my truck I have to replace the handle assembly. Its 3 screws from the front of the tailgate and it comes out of the hole it sits in.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have the opposite problem. i have to push mine open to get the tailgate to latch closed, i have greased the rods and the metals pieces on the end of the tailgate but it hasn't helped

Last edited:

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have the opposite problem. i have to push me open to get the tailgate to latch closed, i have greased the rods and the metals pieces ion the end of the tailgate but it hasn't helped

Its probably the springs on the back of the mechanism inside the tailgate

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I first purchased my truck the tailgate had the same issue.

I ended up taking the assembly out of the tailgate. One bolt directly behind the tailgate handle followed by 1 or 2 bolts on the outside ends. once you get everything out you should be able to see how it all works

There is a spring that exerts force in a rotating manor to pull the tailgate handle shut which allows the arms to extend outward from the force on the end of each arm towards the bed sides.

All I had to do was WD the crap out of that clock spring behind the handle

For a little bit of a part list check out LMC's diagram
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/full.aspx?Page=25

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
you can chenge everything out easy the handle changes out as stated about to change mechanism unhook the rods form the handle and there is 2 or 3 star bolts on the side of the gate that holds em in . Take em out and pull the rod and mech out swap in the new

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
On mine I have to unlatch and pull back and forth to get it to open. My right side latch on my right side won't move. Seems like all the tailgates on these trucks have trouble.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
If I pull my tailgate handle, the only thing that will be holding the tailgate on is the cables.. but no one knows that, it's a secret ***** trap.