tail/head light swaps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tobbycook

Reaction score
Hello there. I have recently purchased my first truck. I am 19 years old and have a 91 GMC C1500 Sierra. I want to swap out the head lights and tail lights and was hoping for some suggestions on where. I see stuff on Ebay but would prefer to stay away from ebay. I also need to fix the heater controls. the air doesn't go from vent to defrost and the airconditioning for some reason has a seperate on off switch.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also need to fix the heater controls. the air doesn't go from vent to defrost

Check out this recent thread on the defroster.

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to swap out the head lights and tail lights and was hoping for some suggestions on where.

I believe headlights and taillights are covered in Forums: Interior : Audio + Electronics. Maybe an Admin can move this there. Otherwise, you might get more responses if you re-post it there.

Various companies make replacement lighting, e.g., TYC, APC. Quality comes at a price. Water leakage / intrusion into the housing can be a problem for aftermarket lighting of low quality, particularly if the vehicle sees much rain... or even car washes. Fitment issues are not uncommon. Poor illumination of the roadway due to inferior optics is not uncommon either, for headlights.

If you're current headlights are simply cloudy or yellowed, consider having them refinished at a body shop and then treated with a protective film (e.g., from 3M) to mitigate the effects of UV exposure. With this, they should look practically new and remain in good condition for years. I've paid from $35 to $100 to have a body shop refinish one pair of headlights, and from $50 to $150 to have one pair covered with UV-protective film.

If you're replacing them for aesthetics, then shop accordingly.

If you're replacing them to achieve better illumination of the roadway, consider an "E-code" replacement (read of the benefits of an E-code headlights here: http://forum.theherd.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56). If you have the two-headlight system, Hella makes replacement E-code reflectors that illuminate the road very well and are not particularly expensive (Cibie, Bosch, Marchal may offer replacements too). If you have either the four headlight system, or the composite headlight system, there are similar options but they come at a higher price.

Think about your objectives and reply if you want more comments.

Last edited: