Tachometer reading off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmacke01

Reaction score
I recently purchased a '93 1500 with the 4.3 and NV4500. The original cluster did not have a tachometer so I bought a cluster w/ tach from a '92. There seems to be only two issues with it.

1. The tachometer reading appears to be off. With the engine idling it reads about 200rpm. When driving 50 mph in 3rd gear it reads 1,600 (I've calculated it should be about 2,000rpm). Could this be just an issue with clocking the needle? Also, it seems like the reading might not be very consistent but I haven't spent enough time driving it to be sure.
  2. The speedometer hangs way below zero. Once I get moving the speed seems accurate (I've verified it with a phone app). This makes me think there is some sort of stop that is broken allowing the needle to fall too far.
The attached photo is parked with engine idling. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
You must be registered for see images attach

dmacke01

Reaction score