Swap 26 gal tank for 34— any mod required?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billingstitan

Reaction score
Some a**hat drilled a hole in the bottom of my gas tank to steal gas. Why they didn’t just siphon it I do not understand

But, wondering if anyone has upgraded their stock 26 to the optional 34 gal tank, and if that’s a straight swap, or if modifications would be required?

There’s plenty of both tanks out there, so if I can swap straight across for a 34 gal I might as well

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some a**hat drilled a hole in the bottom of my gas tank to steal gas. Why they didn’t just siphon it I do not understand

But, wondering if anyone has upgraded their stock 26 to the optional 34 gal tank, and if that’s a straight swap, or if modifications would be required?

There’s plenty of both tanks out there, so if I can swap straight across for a 34 gal I might as well
That’s the quickest way to remove the fuel.
Pure speculation without knowing what truck you have.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that theft! I'm starting to outfit my stuff with parking enabled dash cams because of sht like this.

Some 1500 long beds came with the 25 gal. If you have a long bed it is a direct swap with the tank and both straps.

If you have a short bed its stuck to a 25 gal.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
we have a 97 K-3500 crew cab long bed srw diesel and it only has the 25 gallon tank do not know why. I have been told that the 34 gallon tank will not fit a short bed/stepside if I were going to try to make a 34 gallon tank work with a short bed/stepside I would only try it on an extended cab I would not even try on a regular cab short bed/stepside.

Billingstitan

Reaction score
Sorry neglecting to put my truck stats in — duh!!! I was driving my semi back and posted quick while I was in a rest stop atop the continental divide by Butte

Thanks for the responses — @someotherguy posted the correct answer, it’s a longbed vs shortbed thing.

There is a conversion kit available, but you lose your sparetire mount

Billingstitan

Reaction score

Duh — posted this in a hurry on my way, neglecting to include a 1989 k1500 ext cab shortbed

Y’all answered it anyway — thanks as always