suburban, g20, alternatives??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim Bo

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and need a bit of advice, since I haven't found enough about a few topics on the net ...

Briefly as an introduction: i'm 36, mechanic, but since 6 years selfemployed in the shop building / stand construction. I am currently traveling with my girl and our Düdo, an '86 608d merc in South America. Although he has a lot of space, I am disturbed by the terrain. Therefore, we want to switch to a 4x4 or 4x2 with difflock for going north to bolivia, peru, equador and columbia... maybe futher...

Since I had a 88 350 g20 some time ago, again a Chevy van came into my mind, however, there are none in 5000km radius with diesel. :( as far as I know the vans didn't have diff lock (possibly g80?)

Therefore the 'next smaller': suburban. As GMT400 with 4x4, diesel and manual would be a dream, but also usually available here only as gasoline and automatic. Since we are in Paraguay, Chile would be relatively cheap to buy a chevy...

Just a few questions:

1. was there an g20 with lock?
2. Had the 4x2 suburbans only the limited slip diffs? Or even 'real' lock?
3. Do the 4x4 suburbans have factory locks?
4. Which engines / transmissions are susceptible to the suburban 400? Will not be very good with the parts supply from Peru on north :(
5. are there alternatives similar to the burbs/g20s, so Vans with lock as standard, 4x4 in the size suburban (know only the excursión, but not here ....) Or would you recommend something completely different?

Internal width should be min. 1.50m in inner length from 2.40m behind driver's seat ... We want to avoid roof tents, as we stand often in inner cities and want to be 'under the radar'... ;)

so most important would be less electrical (important) stuff, solid build an reliability for 30.000km of rough roads. for any hints, making a burb more rugged (lift, advanced transmission-oil-cooler etc) or some words about common problems of tbi's(problems with intakeair?),the diesel(read about crankproblems and broken heads), the transmissions(th700 should be reliable) i'd be grateful....

cheers! tim

Star-travel.one