stupid door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
can somebody please shed some light n this subject my drives side door sags badly ive already replaced the pins and bushings to no prevail what is the next move for a non saggy door?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have an adjustment tool that goes in between the lock and striker and has a long handle that allow's you to move the door up or down depending on the door. Before I bought it I used to use a floor jack with a block of wood and several rag's between the door and the block of wood and the jack the door up just enough to remove the sag from the hinges, you can make a door open and close really nice!

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
so your basically saying to bend the hinges upward? if im catching what your saying just jack the door up a bit to "adjust" the hinges

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You got it, even the body shop's have to do it, the tool I have is for a body shop. After you have replaced the pins and bushings that's the next step, unless your bushing holes are egg shaped or for some reason your hinges are broken, but I have never had that happen, but I have heard of it.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Sounds like the holes have opened up a little bit, but you could try "adjusting" the hinges to see if that helps

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After you have replaced the pins and bushings that's the next step, unless your bushing holes are egg shaped or for some reason your hinges are broken, but I have never had that happen, but I have heard of it.

^^^ I would check for this. Had it happen to my truck, had the holes welded and only lasted for a year or so. Ended up replacing the door as it was in bad shape besides worn hinges.

webxfx

Reaction score
When doing this with a jack - do you want the door fully open or a close to closed as you can get the jack in there?

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
I have an adjustment tool that goes in between the lock and striker and has a long handle that allow's you to move the door up or down depending on the door. Before I bought it I used to use a floor jack with a block of wood and several rag's between the door and the block of wood and the jack the door up just enough to remove the sag from the hinges, you can make a door open and close really nice!

i did the jack trick! Worked great. open your door, i had it pretty much fully open. Then jack it up alittle, release presure, jack alittle more, and release... check the door, if it needs more, do it again, if not.. Bobs your uncle! your done! easy as that.

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
I did mine with a 3 pound hammer... you can also use a 2 by or what not. Insert whatever you are using on the door jam up next to the hinges. then slowly push the door closed. The door should attempt to "ride" the block of wood in an upwards direction and will bend the hinges a little.

When doing this make sure you do slow and short adjustments with lots of checking. The last thing you want to do is go too far.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
You want it to be as close to being closed as possible....else you'll be stretching the frame-side mount outwards/inwards instead of forwards/backwards. If there's looseness in the hinges after the pin/bushing replacement, then you'll need to adjust them with shims or new hinges. The bending can also be done when looseness exists, but it's better to manually adjust the hinge plates. You can also shim worn out holes with a tack welder and pieces of 1/2" fuel line tubing.....you're in essence building up the hole with the layers of tubing. What we did on a 98 s10 once was used bolt-on hinges from an older car and after cutting the holes in the door, we used 1/4" steel plate with threaded holes in it as a reinforced backing plate to bolt into(you can also use nuts welded to back of backing plate instead of threading the holes in plate).