Street performance 15" Tire suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
Nitto 555r ... Looking for the 555s for front tire
You must be registered for see images attach

I know I'm a little late but:

I run 555R's on the back of my Mustang. I'm not sure what you're looking to get out of them but I have absolutely no regrets with them. They handle power great, are quiet, and can get very good mileage for the rubber compound of similar tires.

EDIT: I have no idea how they are in the rain. The car hasn't seen rain since I put them on about 2,000mi ago. (About a year in summer car terms.)

87sheerips

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the look of "bigs and littles" on lowered trucks. I'm running 285x70x15's on the rear and 225x70x15's on the front. The only bad thing is you can't rotate the tires except from side to side. Love the look of your truck. You really should sell me those wheels.

Pic of your truck please bud? Thx for the props I've been driving this truck for 17 years. Body/frame has 170k on it.... Motor about 30.. 350/350 at the wheels @6k rpm. Trick flow based Holley carbed 357ci

Wheels not for sale haha actually I am looking for one more for a spare if u know anyone...

Not super concerned with road worthy performance. Just a good dependable tire that I can also do a few burnouts with and not waste them

Hankook and cooper have options as well... Thoughts on those?

And these atturo?

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
Hankook and Cooper are both good brands. I've seen Hankook do just fine in the Mustang scene and the same for Cooper in the truck scene.

Sent from my bored/stroked iPhone 6S

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have Cooper Cobra 70s now, and they are wearing out very fast. AT just under 20,000 miles, I can see the wear bars. I took my truck back to the tire dealer where I bought them. They said that they could replace them in about another 5000 miles, and the warranty would cover about 1/2 of the cost of new ones, and I would have to pay for the mounting and balancing. Wow what a deal, NOT. I don't know what I will do yet, but it probably won't be to put new Coppers on.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I may order a set of tires from Summit, they have a lot of choices, but then you have to find someone to mount and balance them.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Those Atturo's look interesting. Never heard of them before.
The prices for the 275/60-15's are actually more $$$ than the 255/60-17's! $99.99, each! (For my Impala SS wheels.) ...and they have a classfication of 'H', with a decent UTQG wear rating of 420AA. I like their look, too!
The reviews are pretty good! Supposedly excellent in the rain. That's a priority here in a West Coast rain-forest!
Although the ones I'd prefer, the 17's, seem to be outa stock most everywhere I've looked, (Of course!!!)
The 20's are even cheaper!!! 255/45's are $88.99 & 295/40's are 124.99!!! Holy crap, those are actually reasonable! A lot cheaper than the Proxes II's that I have now, which aren't all that great in the wet, either.
Good find there, 87sheerips!!!
I think I'll be getting a set. Preferably in the 17" size, although if I can't find some fairly soon, it'll be the 15" ones.
Who knows. I just may end up rocking them on all three sets of my wheels! (I just sold the 15" rallyes I had. I was offered a pretty good $$$ for them, & I'm running outa GMT400 part storage space! Lol!)

87sheerips

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those Atturo's look interesting. Never heard of them before.
The prices for the 275/60-15's are actually more $$$ than the 255/60-17's! $99.99, each! (For my Impala SS wheels.) ...and they have a classfication of 'H', with a decent UTQG wear rating of 420AA. I like their look, too!
The reviews are pretty good! Supposedly excellent in the rain. That's a priority here in a West Coast rain-forest!
Although the ones I'd prefer, the 17's, seem to be outa stock most everywhere I've looked, (Of course!!!)
The 20's are even cheaper!!! 255/45's are $88.99 & 295/40's are 124.99!!! Holy crap, those are actually reasonable! A lot cheaper than the Proxes II's that I have now, which aren't all that great in the wet, either.
Good find there, 87sheerips!!!
I think I'll be getting a set. Preferably in the 17" size, although if I can't find some fairly soon, it'll be the 15" ones.
Who knows. I just may end up rocking them on all three sets of my wheels! (I just sold the 15" rallyes I had. I was offered a pretty good $$$ for them, & I'm running outa GMT400 part storage space! Lol!)

Man I used to have American eagle billet 20's on this rig... Before the whole truck got stolen... Yea

So I have been rocking the classic 15" stockers since 2003... Don't mind them and they offer a cushy ride.... Got my cummins for the rough ride lol.

I think I may be going with the hankook or cooper since my local mom and pop can get me a deal on them. Support local biz when you can!

Here is my 2012 cummins... Deleted and EFI live... Daily work truck. Was a tough move from a dmax but I Love it.

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
I am madddd f-in in love with my Cooper Cobras!
I drive the sh*t out of them and find them VERY predictable, which is of paramount importance.
Let's see.... 25k miles since new, rotated side to side every three oil changes (3,333 mi. intervals) and I'm lookin at 7/32 tread.
I check the pressure once a week and they all roll at 41 psi. That's what they like...

PLUS they are TOUGH. I've driven very,very bad roads most of those miles and was impressed. I have replaced TWO of the rear tires but they DID NOT FAIL. Discount Tire is a great place...Both with sidewall issues but they held air, amazingly. BAD roads! Glad I bought the road hazard. Like I said, I drive the sh*t out of them.
Dry traction is excellent. Rain Traction is very good. Snow traction is suprisingly good. Mud traction seems pretty decent even, I ain't skert with swinging weight 2wheel, it'll go if I rap it up high enough. Mud/ snow traction gives really pleasant behavior. However wet grass? Fugetaboutit. Wet grass traction is very poor. That's honest... You'll get stuck.

235/70 on a 8 and 275/60 15s on 10s.
Will buy again!
Will recommend!
4.5 of 5 stars!
Next set will be 245/60 and 295/50 15s.

Good luck! The last tire I was this in love with were Kelly Charger SR and they quit making them big enough. That sure is good compound! Long time to settle on another tire and it's definitely the Cobras, they pwn. Chargers replaced BFgoodrich radial T/A - which are completely vanilla and medium, in comparison.

Last edited:

87sheerips

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am madddd f-in in love with my Cooper Cobras!
I drive the sh*t out of them and find them VERY predictable, which is of paramount importance.
Let's see.... 25k miles since new, rotated side to side every three oil changes (3,333 mi. intervals) and I'm lookin at 7/32 tread.
I check the pressure once a week and they all roll at 41 psi. That's what they like...

PLUS they are TOUGH. I've driven very,very bad roads most of those miles and was impressed. I have replaced TWO of the rear tires but they DID NOT FAIL. Discount Tire is a great place...Both with sidewall issues but they held air, amazingly. BAD roads! Glad I bought the road hazard. Like I said, I drive the sh*t out of them.
Dry traction is excellent. Rain Traction is very good. Snow traction is suprisingly good. Mud traction seems pretty decent even, I ain't skert with swinging weight 2wheel, it'll go if I rap it up high enough. Mud/ snow traction gives really pleasant behavior. However wet grass? Fugetaboutit. Wet grass traction is very poor. That's honest... You'll get stuck.

235/70 on a 8 and 275/60 15s on 10s.
Will buy again!
Will recommend!
4.5 of 5 stars!
Next set will be 245/60 and 295/50 15s.

Good luck! The last tire I was this in love with were Kelly Charger SR and they quit making them big enough. That sure is good compound! Long time to settle on another tire and it's definitely the Cobras, they pwn. Chargers replaced BFgoodrich radial T/A - which are completely vanilla and medium, in comparison.

I have Kelly chargers on the rear of mine now. Great tire but I don't like the ribbed sidewall.

Looking like cooper 275/60 15's all around for me