Street performance 15" Tire suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87sheerips

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Currently running BFG radial TA. 275/60r 15

Been looking at the nitto 555r but am thinking about going wider in rear/ skinnier in front for a different look...

Not many options in the 275/60r 15... Tired of the boring radial TA

Any suggestions?

What's widest tire we can run in rear?

Nitto 555r ... Looking for the 555s for front tire

Dunlap?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Those Nitto's are a 'drag radial'. Nice & sticky, but they have an estimated by the manufacturer life of around 15,000 miles!
The Dunlops (Dumflops) are only an 'S' rated tire. Not really performance oriented.
IFAIC, performance tires require at least a rating of 'H'. With that, you get a carcass that can take the heat generated when driving with 'spirit', along with a stiffer sidewall will not only help grip the road better in the corners (i.e. not fold over & feel wishy-washy!) but helps to inspire confidence leading the ability to take the twisties faster!
Finding a performance tire in a 15" size these days is near impossible. Tire manufacturers are focusing more on 17" and larger sizes, which is what the majority of vehicle manufacturers are equipping their vehicles with. Gotta clear those larger rotors & calipers!
Most 15" tires are old designs & there has been not any R-&-D invested in them for many years.
Even the ones that had an 'H' rating or better have been phased out just because the market doesn't justify their production. Even the most recent Radial T/A design, a tire that has never really impressed me, is at least 30 years old! (I've had the three different tread styles that they offered over the years, & cursed them all!)
The last decent performance 15" tire in an 'H' rating, & a size of 275/60, the Firestone Indy 500, was discontinued about 3 years ago! Which is too bad because it was an excellent tire that outperformed all others in it's class, especially in the rain. I got over 65,000 hard driven miles outa my last set, too! I've gone through 3 sets in the last 10 years! I want some more. I've searched for some for over a year. Can't even find some old stock, anywhere.
If (IF!) you do find a 15" tire in that size, with at least that 'H' rating, let me know! I'll buy 8 of them!!!
But I think that the days of anyone making real performance oriented tires in a 15" size are pretty well over. The market just isn't there for the manufacturers to justify the costs involved.
Final thought? GrRrRrrr!!! Lol!

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
It is tough to find performance street tires in 15" these days without going into pure autocross tire territory. Don't expect much mileage out of those since they have treadwear numbers of 200 and less.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Man, there's really nothing worthwhile out there in 15"? I was going to stick some new tires on my C10 in a few weeks, but I need wheels too, I really don't want to go to a 17.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I got a pair of Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S 295 65 15s for mine in the rear, haven't got a chance to test them out yet though

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Currently running BFG radial TA. 275/60r 15

Been looking at the nitto 555r but am thinking about going wider in rear/ skinnier in front for a different look...

Not many options in the 275/60r 15... Tired of the boring radial TA

Any suggestions?

What's widest tire we can run in rear?

Nitto 555r ... Looking for the 555s for front tire

Dunlap?
I like the look of "bigs and littles" on lowered trucks. I'm running 285x70x15's on the rear and 225x70x15's on the front. The only bad thing is you can't rotate the tires except from side to side. Love the look of your truck. You really should sell me those wheels.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I got some 275 60 15s for the front, since i'm going with 295s in the rear I didn't want to go too much smaller in the front, I love the look of the 275s