Strange issue. Any help appreciated. Sudden no-spark at random times.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
My truck has ran like a top for months and about 3 weeks ago it would suddenly die while driving. Somewhat like ICM issues so I just went ahead an replaced the ICM and the fuel filter. It drove fine for 2 weeks and last week another issue occured.
I would be driving and let it warm up and park it and try to start it and it wouldnt start. It would flood the engine with fuel and eventually turn over (a few times it wouldnt) and it would backfire like crazy and smoke out the exhaust and smell like fuel. It was obvious it was not getting any spark.
Now last night, I replaced the coolant temp sensor thinking that was the issue, I was test driving it and it suddenly lost spark (I guess you would say) and I was going maybe 40-45 and it just started bogging down and backfiring for too-much fuel being injected and it flooded the engine and it died. I tried to start it and it left me stranded and I had to ride my longboard home (I always kept one behind the back seat for emergencies like this even though I havent rode one in years :blah:)

To sum it up, it randomly loses spark. Its still spraying gas, and in turn, it will keep spraying gas thinking its getting a spark and flood the engine. New ICM, New fuel pump, new fuel filter, new coolant temp sensor, rebuilt throttle body, dizzy is maybe 6 months old. Ive replaced everything I think it would be. Thats why im very stumped on this.

Any help is appreciated.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The flooding points me to believe that the pickup coil and ignition module are firing the injectors. That would point me in the direction of possibly a coil or perhaps a bad distributor cap and plug wires.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Try replacing the coil like skylark said.
Im assuming the cap and wires were replaced when the dizzy was changed? If not it could be coil wire.