Stock ride height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Z height" is the official, specified ride-height. It's what GM wants your truck to ride at.

If you deliberately screw-up the "Z height" by raising or lowering the suspension, (not a body lift or body drop via the body bushings, or lifting/lowering the truck using only goofball tire/wheel sizing) whatever your ride height ends up at, is where you want the control arms to be torqued at. Control arms mounted on BONDED RUBBER bushings must be torqued at whatever the ride-height is. None of this matters if you have non-bonded (Polyurethane or Delron, or whatever) bushings.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you deliberately screw-up the "Z height" by raising or lowering the suspension, (not a body lift or body drop via the body bushings, or lifting/lowering the truck using only goofball tire/wheel sizing) whatever your ride height ends up at, is where you want the control arms to be torqued at
I had just edited my post when you were responding I guess...
I found what I did from my post on another forum...does this sound right?

I then put the axles in and the tires back on, and put the truck on the ground. When I measured the z height, it was off by 2". So I adjusted the torsion keys to get the z height where it is supposed to be and torqued down the control arms while it was on the ground.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'd loosen all four control arms, not just two. That would be "best practice".

In truth, I'd have trouble justifying the effort at this point. You got the "Z-height" close if not exact. I don't think the bushings were in any danger. OTOH, given the time lapse since then, if there were going to be any damage to the bushings, it's already happened.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You'd loosen all four control arms, not just two. That would be "best practice".
Yes, sorry. Was talking about the side I'm working on... of course upper and lower...
In truth, I'd have trouble justifying the effort at this point. You got the "Z-height" close if not exact. I don't think the bushings were in any danger. OTOH, given the time lapse since then, if there were going to be any damage to the bushings, it's already happened.
Thank you. Was kinda wondering the same thing.