Stock front diff off-roading capabilities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Actually, all the ones i have seen broken have been from being rough on it in reverse, like backing out of a deep hole at WOT. When you get to the dry dirt... BANG

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Actually, all the ones i have seen broken have been from being rough on it in reverse, like backing out of a deep hole at WOT. When you get to the dry dirt... BANG

Yes like I said suddenly gaining traction

98_k1500

Reaction score
Like i said tho, one can be wheeled sensibly for quite a while without breaking everything. If you drive it like a 16 year old in daddys duramax, It won't last long. Back to the original question: no, there are not any upgrades available.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Like i said tho, one can be wheeled sensibly for quite a while without breaking everything. If you drive it like a 16 year old in daddys duramax, It won't last long. Back to the original question: no, there are not any upgrades available.

Maybe at stock height but this guy wants 11.5 inches of lift with a "custom" suspension lift

98_k1500

Reaction score
I guess the first question that needs answered is what is involved in a "custom" lift. If someone is gonna cut the droop stops off it and put torsion keys on it, then no, it will not last. End of story lol.

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
It probably would have been cheaper for an SAS in the first place. Just sayin...

Sent from Robl@nd

Schepacarter

Reaction score
The lift is only costing me like 450 all together. So I'm not worried about that. A straight axle is going to cost me upwards of 1500. That's why I don't want to do it. And I baby it in the woods, but I do get on it when I want to and I do have a ton of power from my motor with all the upgrades and being that it's freshly rebuilt. If I were to go to straight axle, what axle should I look into? I have 3.42 gears now. Anything I find is 4.10's and up which means I have to regear my rear. And I'm thinking about going to a Dana 70 in the rear because the 10 bolt isn't going to last long the way I drive it. On top of that, which company do I buy an sas kit from? An how much welding am I going to have to do? Along with new steering and everything. Plus finding springs that are going to match the rear lift that is already on it. Just seems like a lot going into it for something I drive every day and wheel on the side.