Stock front diff off-roading capabilities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schepacarter

Reaction score
Alright guys, I have an 89 chevy k1500 Scottsdale. Has an ifs front diff and I really don't want to transfer to straight axle quite yet, I drive it every day and I'm not quite willing to take that much time and fabrication and money for something that isn't just a toy and money pit. That being said, I have it lifted 6 inches from a rough country drop kit, and I'm going to probably lift it another 5 and a half inches between body and suspension. I'm gonna need to put bigger tires on it otherwise it will look stupid on 35's. My question really comes down to this, what can I do to upgrade my front diff? I know you can build a Dana 60 to be damn near unbreakable, and I'm curious if that's possible at all with an ifs diff. I do take it off-road so it's not a show truck and it will be tested, but I can't think of any way to upgrade it minus going to a sas. Please let me know as soon as possible guys! Thanks!

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Alright guys, I have an 89 chevy k1500 Scottsdale. Has an ifs front diff and I really don't want to transfer to straight axle quite yet, I drive it every day and I'm not quite willing to take that much time and fabrication and money for something that isn't just a toy and money pit. That being said, I have it lifted 6 inches from a rough country drop kit, and I'm going to probably lift it another 5 and a half inches between body and suspension. I'm gonna need to put bigger tires on it otherwise it will look stupid on 35's. My question really comes down to this, what can I do to upgrade my front diff? I know you can build a Dana 60 to be damn near unbreakable, and I'm curious if that's possible at all with an ifs diff. I do take it off-road so it's not a show truck and it will be tested, but I can't think of any way to upgrade it minus going to a sas. Please let me know as soon as possible guys! Thanks!

You cant lift it another 5.5 inches for one. And no you cant build an ifs diff

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
If you're planning on using and abusing an IFS 1/2 ton truck with a 12" lift and 40s, you need to look into a SAS, end of story.

Schepacarter

Reaction score
I'm having a custom lift built at a local shop. Plus a body lift. 9 inch lift suspension and 3 inch body. And that's not what I wanted to hear. I just don't feel like putting all that work into a straight axle quite yet. I just got the 6 inch lift like a month ago. If I go another 3 inches with the body and put 37's-38's on it, is that going to eat up that ifs diff also?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I'm having a custom lift built at a local shop. Plus a body lift. 9 inch lift suspension and 3 inch body. And that's not what I wanted to hear. I just don't feel like putting all that work into a straight axle quite yet. I just got the 6 inch lift like a month ago. If I go another 3 inches with the body and put 37's-38's on it, is that going to eat up that ifs diff also?

A custom lift? More work than a SAS honestly. Theres only one ifs diff and yes 38s will eat up the front end

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
IFS geometry just isn't setup for tires that big, which puts stress on suspension components in ways they weren't built to be stressed. It might last five years, it might last five days. Why risk it? Do it right the first time and save yourself a lot of time, money, and aggravation. Trust me on that.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Nothing.

The 8.25 is an orphan in the off road world. Not even a locker.

The 9.25 is marginally better. 1 company makes a locker.

Carry a couple spare CV joint axles if you plan to work it hard. They pop before the differential.

The diff isn't your worry, the CV axles are.

Monstrous lift, 44 inch tires and mud or lots of rocks means you'll be doing lots of front end work and often. CV axles, tie rods, ball joints, unit bearings, alignments, etc....

Even mall crawler ifs trucks have problems with tires that big.

Too much weight, too far from OEM specs....ifs does NOT like being outside OEM specs.

Last edited:

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Im going to be the one to go against the grain and say that in the big scheme of things, the front diff/cv setup in our trucks is pretty tough. You can run 38s on them fairly reliably if you don't drive it like a banshee. I have seen ifs 1/2 tons with 40s on them hold up decently, but thats getting into busting differentials territory. If you plan on trail riding and a little playing, it'll serve you well. If you plan on burying it up to the mirrors and revving it sky high, IFS is not for you. Im not terribly farmilliar with gearing options for the ifs either, If you run close to stock gears, it won't be a powerhouse but it will keep you from breaking stuff.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Im going to be the one to go against the grain and say that in the big scheme of things, the front diff/cv setup in our trucks is pretty tough. You can run 38s on them fairly reliably if you don't drive it like a banshee. I have seen ifs 1/2 tons with 40s on them hold up decently, but thats getting into busting differentials territory. If you plan on trail riding and a little playing, it'll serve you well. If you plan on burying it up to the mirrors and revving it sky high, IFS is not for you. Im not terribly farmilliar with gearing options for the ifs either, If you run close to stock gears, it won't be a powerhouse but it will keep you from breaking stuff.

Honestly your much more likely to break a stock diff on a trail where suddenly gaining traction is possible then in slick mud reving high thats not that hard on a diff