Stock Exhaust Interchangeability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marcos Beltran

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently bought me a father/ son project for my boy. Its a 96 gmc sierra with a vortec v6. The exhaust is gone and needs to be replaced. My question is will a V8 exhaust fit a V6 and are they interchangeable? Is it a direct fit? I have a chance to buy a 96 suburban parts car and it has a v8. Do they have the same catalytic convertor and same amount of O2 sensors and are they in the same location? I know i will have to cut to length and re weld to make it fit under the stepside past the converter.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
SC111, any idea how this compares to the Vortec V6? OP, at least this will get you the cats, O2 sensors and muffler - even if you just need one of each. Of course, it would be overkill to buy a parts Suburban just for that.

The Vortec V6s only have one cat, but the same number of sensors. I have my doubts that a V8 system would fit a V6 truck without modification due to the fact that the V6 system merges at the Y-pipe where as the V8 systems generally stay divided until they get to the muffler.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
SC111, any idea how this compares to the Vortec V6? OP, at least this will get you the cats, O2 sensors and muffler - even if you just need one of each. Of course, it would be overkill to buy a parts Suburban just for that.

I believe the 4.3 and 5.0 got a single cat, 2 pre-cat O2 sensors, and 1 post cat O2 sensor. I'm inclined to thinking there's a good chance it will bolt up to the manifolds, but it won't work with the rest of the exhaust on the truck as is. If both trucks are of the same configuration you could swap over the whole exhaust system. Why not dump the motor in too?

Marcos Beltran

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the 4.3 and 5.0 got a single cat, 2 pre-cat O2 sensors, and 1 post cat O2 sensor. I'm inclined to thinking there's a good chance it will bolt up to the manifolds, but it won't work with the rest of the exhaust on the truck as is. If both trucks are of the same configuration you could swap over the whole exhaust system. Why not dump the motor in too?
Its a parts truck. Going to use bumpers, side mirrors, hood hinges, visors, and try to use the exhaust. Just trying to get it up and running for my boy to have something to drive when he gets his summer job. At this moment not wanting to do a full engine swap. The motors still good and this is for a teenage kid.

Marcos Beltran

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Vortec V6s only have one cat, but the same number of sensors. I have my doubts that a V8 system would fit a V6 truck without modification due to the fact that the V6 system merges at the Y-pipe where as the V8 systems generally stay divided until they get to the muffler.
Well im pretty sure i can piece something together using both the existing exhaust thats in the truck and the possible purchase of the suburban. The exhaust thats in the truck is rusted out about 18 inches past the converter. From that converter forward towards the engine is in decent shape but i was just trying find out cause if the front section from the suburban is in better shape i was/would use it instead.

Marcos Beltran

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im getting it for dirt cheap, less than the price than if the owner would have scrapped it. Got a lot of other very good parts im going to use.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this moment not wanting to do a full engine swap. The motors still good and this is for a teenage kid.
"No V8s for your first car!" My oldest son ruined it for the other two.

Since you have the capability to weld, why not just build an exhaust? I did my exhaust for about $300. I understand taking the cheaper route, but welding and re-hanging rusty pipes doesn't sound fun to me. If you have a Harbor Freight tubing kinker you can bend tubes instead of buying mandrel bends and save another $50.