Steering knock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well today it rained and well i was being a teenager and was hitting all of the possible puddles as deep as they were.

BUT i also noticed that my front end was making this kind of pop, Like donkey did from shrek? i know terrible reference.
I know none of my ball joints are good and my ABS was acting up since i bought the truck.

Has anyone had this type of problem, I assume wheel bearings of some sort, possible ball joint rubbing? HOPEFULLY not my front diff or something serious
Can anyone help because it is concerning.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also its a kind of random knock, nothing specificly triggers it. Not all bumps, turns or what have you makes it pop.

PS cv axle boots are in one piece.

smurfcivic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone had this type of problem, I assume wheel bearings of some sort, possible ball joint rubbing? HOPEFULLY not my front diff or something serious
Can anyone help because it is concerning.

Not really sure what the issue is but I'd say ball joints and tie rods are a lot more serious than the differential. If any of them happen to break your are going to be in a bind. I wouldn't drive it till u figure it out That's for sure.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not really sure what the issue is but I'd say ball joints and tie rods are a lot more serious than the differential. If any of them happen to break your are going to be in a bind. I wouldn't drive it till u figure it out That's for sure.

Yeah that was kind of stupid to say, All of my bushings have broken seals, but THEY dont make and noise when turning. Thats why i think it may be the wheel bearing getting some road grime in them. Nothing was deep enough for it to get in the breather tube of my rear or front diff, transfer case or transmission. I just looked like i was driving through a good couple inches of water. All my steering feels tight, its just makes a popping sound? Its tough to call exactly what is, so ill keep this updated but IM AN IDIOT TEENAGE....

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Yeah that was kind of stupid to say, All of my bushings have broken seals, but THEY dont make and noise when turning. Thats why i think it may be the wheel bearing getting some road grime in them. Nothing was deep enough for it to get in the breather tube of my rear or front diff, transfer case or transmission. I just looked like i was driving through a good couple inches of water. All my steering feels tight, its just makes a popping sound? Its tough to call exactly what is, so ill keep this updated but IM AN IDIOT TEENAGE....
Check your Center link bolts. Its the link that the idler and pitman arm bolt to. I have a lift on mine, but anyway the cotter pin that secured the bolt had busted and the nut backed off about a 1/4 inch and sometimes when turning, or even after turning I would feel a clunk and hear a pop as the tension changed on the center link.

Try man handling each of your front wheels and feel for any clunks. this works really well if you can get your truck up on a lift.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i have 2 good upper balljoints, and my tie rods are all good, inner and outer. BUT im still hearing a pop(like popping your lips). Any ideas guys?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check sway bar end links and the sway bar bushings. The wheel bearings normally howl and grind when back.
My guess is you broke an end link puddle jumping.

BadBowtie 98

BOWTIE TILL I DIE
Reaction score
Check your Center link bolts. Its the link that the idler and pitman arm bolt to. I have a lift on mine, but anyway the cotter pin that secured the bolt had busted and the nut backed off about a 1/4 inch and sometimes when turning, or even after turning I would feel a clunk and hear a pop as the tension changed on the center link.

Try man handling each of your front wheels and feel for any clunks. this works really well if you can get your truck up on a lift.

Happened to me to, id check this

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Is it popping when driving or does it make the noise when turning the wheel back and forth?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
If the steering is making a "pop" noise when you're stationary and turning the wheel, get a friend to turn the wheel while you look and listen under the front end.

This will help you to localize the noise at least.

For christsake though: stay away from any of the moving components. All you need is your buddy think it will be funny to turn the wheel the wrong way and end up crushing a hand or catch some loose clothing in the cooling fan.

It's not rocket science, but vehicles do not suffer fools lightly....