Steering column disassembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having trouble getting my steering column disassembled. I can’t get the shell to separate. I’ve got all the screws out. I’m trying to replace my windshield wiper switch. This is the thing that’s holding me back. Is there something I’m missing with the key cylinder?
You must be registered for see images attach

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, guess a floor shift column is a bit different. Pictures from my service manual. I don’t know why I didn’t think to consult that first.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m going to hopefully make a write up with many photos to show how to change the switch on a non-tilt, non-column shift steering column. It’s a bit more work than I was expecting.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whew. Ran out of daylight after work but have it almost buttoned up. A lot of learning on this project. Have enough photos to hopefully make a decent write up. It would have been easier to pull the column I think.

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whew. Ran out of daylight after work but have it almost buttoned up. A lot of learning on this project. Have enough photos to hopefully make a decent write up. It would have been easier to pull the column I think.
I'm about to do this job myself. Let me guess.. turn signal switch wouldn't engage left or right because the track in the wiper switch was walleyed out? That's my problem. I went to replace the turn signal switch, and install a new key lock, and couldn't get the thing to engage left signal. That little arm kept popping out of the track.

FYI to everyone: The multi-function turn signal arm (intermittent wipers/cruise/high beam) actually plugs into the wiper switch, which is inside the column. GM of course no longer makes anything for these columns. You can still get some of the internal parts like the wiper switch from advanced. There are several configurations (with intermittent wipers, non tilt. Non-intermittent wipers with tilt, etc), so double triple check you are getting the right one. You can also get allot of stuff from steeringcolumnservices [dot] com, including instructions for those without the factory manual.

Looking forward to your write up Fancy.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm about to do this job myself. Let me guess.. turn signal switch wouldn't engage left or right because the track in the wiper switch was walleyed out? That's my problem. I went to replace the turn signal switch, and install a new key lock, and couldn't get the thing to engage left signal. That little arm kept popping out of the track.

FYI to everyone: The multi-function turn signal arm (intermittent wipers/cruise/high beam) actually plugs into the wiper switch, which is inside the column. GM of course no longer makes anything for these columns. You can still get some of the internal parts like the wiper switch from advanced. There are several configurations (with intermittent wipers, non tilt. Non-intermittent wipers with tilt, etc), so double triple check you are getting the right one. You can also get allot of stuff from steeringcolumnservices [dot] com, including instructions for those without the factory manual.

Looking forward to your write up Fancy.
If you do this, definitely remove the column and throw it on a bench to work on. Way easier. At the time I did this I never dropped a column before, but it’s super easy!

I tore mine apart because I thought I had a bad wiper switch. I tested the circuits and it pointed me to that failing. Turns out I had bad grounds on the firewall on the engine side.

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you do this, definitely remove the column and throw it on a bench to work on. Way easier. At the time I did this I never dropped a column before, but it’s super easy!

I tore mine apart because I thought I had a bad wiper switch. I tested the circuits and it pointed me to that failing. Turns out I had bad grounds on the firewall on the engine side.

Yes, I'm definitely removing the whole thing, as I also want to grease everything, replace the lower bearings, sand and paint... etc. I've got it ready to come out, but life got in the way as usual.