started working when it wants too.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fedupmp

Reaction score
I have a 96 Tahoe 5.7 vortex. about a week ago I had an issue where the started would not engage. Had power to everything else but would not turn over. call insurance for wrecker. and for s and giggles tried again about 15 minutes later and it fired right up without any issues. Did not have any problems until yesterday when it did the same thing. and then again today.

What could be the cause of this. Bad Starter? Bad relay? if it is a relay is there any other relays other then the one under the hood fuse box. Please help before I decide to find a stick of dynamite and cram it in the gas tank.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First things first welcome to the forum. Secondly, it's a Vortec not vortex. Third, your starter could be on its way out, the bendix of the stsrt isn't coming out all the way sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fedupmp

Reaction score
Got it Vortec. Vortex is VW right. I am new to chevy's. I was thinking that. I remember my brother had classic skylark and he would cross the power wire to the solenoid and tested to see if it was the solenoid or the starter itself. will this work on newer vehicles like ours.

fedupmp

Reaction score
Vortec. got it. you can beat later for that. preferably after I fix the truck. if the bendix is not coming all the way out would it still spin inside the housing. is there a way to test it before I go and fork out money for a new one.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It should work by jumping it. And yes the bendix will still spin

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wait until someone else's comments before you try it

88 4x4

Reaction score
If it works sometimes and sometimes it don't, it reminds me of my old toyota, used to have to beat on the starter and get someone to turn key about 70% of the time. Bought a new starter and walaaaa......I have cleaned lawn mower starters and used same brushes, and it fix them but i'm not sure if you could do that with yours???????

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Contacts inside the solenoid are failing.

Or, its possible your side post battery cable has poor contact.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've put two solenoids on the ACDelco reman starter that was on my Burb when I bought it. Both times it would just click, click, click, and finally make contact and engage. Check your wiring first, as was suggested, as it could very well be corrosion or loose battery cables. Inspect the wiring at the starter for burns or corrosion of the wires too. If all the wiring checks out, then a solenoid is a good possibility. My starter still pulls strong without excessive amp draw (had it tested after I installed the new solenoid) so I have confidence in it. If it looks at all questionable, get a new one.