Stalling, Rough running, Rough shifts threw 22 code, replaced TPS no fix. Ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I got 2 faulty knocks sensors, one from AC Delco directly and another from Summit racing...But who knows...
Says poor connection as well?

did you do step 1 with engine running?

5.3 volts sounds high...
Have not, I dont have a obd1 scanner that can display values... It only displays code 22 which I just got off the flashes of CEL. Could I test it with a Multimeter? Once again I apologize kinda a newbie at wiring/auto electrical.

Reaction score
I got 2 faulty knocks sensors, one from AC Delco directly and another from Summit racing...But who knows...
Says poor connection as well?

did you do step 1 with engine running?
And I should state that it is a semi intermittent issue. Sometimes it runs ok, but for the most part runs horribly ect

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
says an open or a short to ground in 416 or 417 will result in the dtc 22... could have an exposed wire or something. Or 2 bad sensors....

you made sure you don't have any continuity to ground from those circuits?

then you can check for continuity from the sensor to the back of the pcm..make sure you don't have any opens

maybe your tps connector is goofy....

Maybe someone can clarify the 5.3 volts. It's not clear to me if that is supposed to be just a simulation of a high tps signal and not indicative of the actual tps ...looks like it just uses the 5v reference to check to make sure the pcm sees it.

Last edited:

PlatonicSolid

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering all the bull I've been going through diagnosing my idle issues, I'd seriously consider siphoning all the gas out of the tank to see if you have any bad separated gas. You may have other issue too, but I'd start with the fuel. Naturally if it is bad, you'll need to replace the filter. Using a clear 5 gallon water jug will let you inspect it.

Reaction score
So I replaced it with a third sensor and still having issues. It now runs pretty good at idle in park and N but when you drop it into gear it bogs down and tries to die, very poor throttle response, and shifts hard and its all a intermittent problem. Im stuck... Somebody said it could be the shift solenoid? Would that cause running issues? I just dont see how it would bog it down. I mean I couldnt even hit 60mph and I was flooring it.

Reaction score
Interesting. I was having the same symptom right before my truck became undriveable. I'm now 80% sure my problem is separated gas.
Im starting to wonder if its injectors or something. I might end up just sending it to MR. Car Wizard shop in Newton, KS. Im kinda at a loss. Im going to do some testing on the injectors later and see what i find.

PlatonicSolid

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im starting to wonder if its injectors or something. I might end up just sending it to MR. Car Wizard shop in Newton, KS. Im kinda at a loss. Im going to do some testing on the injectors later and see what i find.
Suggest disconnecting fuel feed line to filter and catching some of the gas to see what it looks like. That's how I discovered I had bad gas. I used one of those plastic bubble shipping envelopes to guide the gas to the container - otherwise it just gets all over the truck frame.

Sabinoerc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn’t see that you checked the fuel pressure. Low or marginal fuel pressure will cause all sorts of problems. There is no sensor or code if the fuel pressure is low. It’s a common problem on older trucks and something to verify before chasing other problems.