Squeezing ponies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthBoston

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright I've got a 1992 5.7 tbi I've done:
Ultimate tbi
Tbi spacer
Open element filter
New plugs
Headers with dual exhaust
Any other things to get some more power out of the truck?

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a tune. From there it's time for a cam and headwork.

cviola2005

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it all depends on how far you want to go into it, and how much money you want to spend.
You could tear down the whole motor and take the block to a machine shop to bore it and true up the decks. Or... you could leave the block alone and take the heads in to get them shaved.
On one hand, there is block shaved and overbore, and on the other, there is head shave and valve job.

A new cam can be put in with the motor in the truck, usually with radiator, a/c condenser, and grill removed.
Barring any problems with finances and down time, I would pull the motor and go from oil pan up. Redo everything in one go.

MTM1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I suggest a tune. I just had mine done by Nelson Performance and I'm so happy with the result

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
It's a tbi

So? Everyone has suggested things you can do with TBI. Tunes are a good idea, but like mentioned before, unless you are going to stop here, it's cheaper to do more stuff and get the tune after, rather than tune now, do more upgrades, and tune again.

Another thing you can do is upgrade the ignition (distributor, plug wires, coil).

You could also go to an e-fan setup instead of the standard clutch driven fan. Not sure if you would notice the small increase in power though.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
TBI.... im starting not to like them. But.... ive done som research, i would start with a set of vortec heads, a cam, the tune, a good set a spark plug wires.. i forget the rest... but thats the start :)