fighting gremlins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
30lb s0ring and about 6* timing thing runs great, albeit intermittently throwing a code 44 leand exhaust.
1. Have you verified that the damper ring hasn't slipped on the rubber? Not uncommon for the timing mark to "move" on a faulty damper. If it was the WRONG damper--mis-matched timing mark vs. the timing indicator on the front cover--you'd be more like 13 degrees off. Verify the damper timing mark position.

2. Misfire results in false-lean O2 sensor readings. Fix the misfire, the O2 should be reliable again.

3. What are your fuel trims with 30 psi fuel pressure? Did you ever actually verify the pressure? I'd expect the computer to be in "lean command" once the O2 sensor readings are accurate.

rabbit

Reaction score
fuel pressure is slightly under 30 maybe 28 29
damper accuracy has crossed my mind i need to verify by watching valves for tdc?

rabbit

Reaction score
new symptoms, crank no start after new cap and rotor
no fuel no spark,. or fuel no spark, both conditions have been present , currently charging battery...

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you ever verify any of the previous items listed?

No fuel, no spark is likely a distributor problem--pickup coil or module. COULD be a computer problem, but less likely.

Fuel, no spark could be an ignition module or ignition coil, or failed coil wire, or distributor cap/rotor problems. Less-likely is a lack of voltage to the ignition system. Popped ignition fuse? Disconnected ignition primary wires?

Did you put the rotor back in?

rabbit

Reaction score
all above items have been checked and verified, need to check for faulty pcm ground, either open or otherwise interfered, faulty pcm seems unlikely

rabbit

Reaction score
otherodd symptoms are present
hi low beam switch positions
passenger drl is out
replaced 3rd break light bulb now cargo lamp pops curtsy fuse and interior light stays on

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
replaced 3rd break light bulb now cargo lamp pops curtsy fuse and interior light stays on

Did you happen to replace them with LEDs? If so take the LEDs out and go back to standard bulbs and see if this problem goes away.

rabbit

Reaction score
3rd brake lights were burned out with the inside housing charred and a little melty still jammed some standard bulbes back in althohg I did switch to LEDs in the corner parking lights. also movotor led headlights. also interior courtesy is led. that housing and buttons is from a different year truck just that ceiling light none of the under dash lights are led

rabbit

Reaction score
so come to find out that I did indeed have v6 injectors, suppose that can happen when pulling tbi units from pickup beds in junkyards, this has been since remedied with proper injectors, replaced every component in the distributor after the pickup coil died for an unknown reason only to conclude that it just needed to be replaced, went with davis unified dizzy and coil. also new wire set, ac Delco junk with some being cracked straight from the box they a peice parted together with wires from other sets no doubt contributing to my current issue, as well as a few others, mainly wire management. any recommendations on wires and wire separators? also have since added jet afpr set to roughly 13 psi, only verified by a wonky pressure gauge that sits at 3-4psi while just sitting.... small crack in drivers side exhaust manifold as well as plugged cat that has since been relieved of its guts, also basically a rusty tin can for a muffler with no tailpipe to be found.
all in all the truck is running great, I'm trying to find the sweet spot for the time tho as the truck doesn't seem to want to run at 0degrees with the est unplugged. it will run but is gutless and backfires, no I haven't verified tdc on the balancer I know that's a big one in case its moved itself but all the rubber seems in decent shape so idk. I'm going to redo my valve adjustment later today and maybe I'll add that to me to do list. also found out the engine is an acdelco reman, unknown date of install or at what mileage so that's a thing, couldn't find much info if anyone has leads that would be cool.
I'd ask for thoughts and opinions but I haven't done or taken care of a few basic things like plug wires and other simple issues whis may solve all of them anyways, still....thoughts and opinions anyone? truck runs fantastic 96% of the time, sometimes it will start and idle like a diesel for a few seconds and then run fine-ish. other times it will start and die once or twice and then start and run fine. every once in a while it just doesn't have any power and I've got to feather the throttle to get it to rev and then runs fine. sorry for the long post but that's my story and I'm sticking with it, thanks for bearing with me guys