Spider to mpfi wow! What a difference!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now we have a new problem. Truck jerks and bucks at freeway speeds randomly almost felt like transmission so I turned around. It jerked going up a small hill. I am guessing my lifetime warranty oreilly fuel pump or the junkyard mpfi regulator

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drove it today. Tested fuel pressure at 55psi and truck never did anything weird. I'm not sure now

Deuce

Reaction score
Do you have any updates for us on your truck? Was it a fuel pump problem?

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have any updates for us on your truck? Was it a fuel pump problem?
I think it was something in the gas. Truck is running fine. Slight miss at idle, still leaking oil all over from everywhere marking its territory. Front seal leaks, selector shift leaks, pinion seal and tailshaft seal leaks despite replacing the last 2. Im actually doing the oil right now. 15-40 diesel oil is what i run

What?

Reaction score
Cool idea to get the lesser cost at Junkyard, I'd imagine it'll take a while to come across with the updated version. Nice find though!

qwikgta

Reaction score
new owner of a 97 SCSB that has some mods. This truck has had about 6-7 previous owners and i'm finding upgrades all the time. is there any way I can tell, from looking at the manifold, if a previous owner has upgraded from the spider to the mpfi? other than taking the top off the intake? thanks in advance.

shorepatrol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
new owner of a 97 SCSB that has some mods. This truck has had about 6-7 previous owners and i'm finding upgrades all the time. is there any way I can tell, from looking at the manifold, if a previous owner has upgraded from the spider to the mpfi? other than taking the top off the intake? thanks in advance.

Nope

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I’ve never had a look, but you may be able to spot something through the throttle body blade.

The new injectors have a thin sleeve over each line with an electrical connector at the end.

You must be registered for see images attach

The original ones do not:

You must be registered for see images attach

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can look through the throttle body and while looking to the side you'll see the injector lines. If they are about 3/16 then you have poppets, 5/16-3/8 is the mpfi upgrade.