Speaker whine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red jack

Reaction score
My speakers have always had a little whine in them but over the weekend i installed some new kicker 4x6 speakers in the dash they sound really good with the engine off with it on the whine and the more rpm the higher the pitch of the whine. Has anyone delt with this or know what i should do? Its a 90 regular cab long bed it has the tape deck with the actual head unit under the dash.

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The whine comes from the alternator. There used to be a filter you could get to eliminate it. I can't remember exactly what it was called. If there is a specialized audio store near you, they could help you out. I had this issue in my old 85 C10. Installed the filter and all was good.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly this screams bad grounding to me, had this issue before and it can be caused by many things. As mentioned though, it's alternator whine. First thing I'd be checking is the grounds for your head unit. Is it factory or have you replaced it? If it's aftermarket and you're running amps then I'd try grounding your RCA preouts to the deck chassis. Seen that cause issues on some older Pioneer decks due to blown internal fuses and/or improper grounds. Alternatively it could be that your alternator is just on it's way out or exceptionally noisy. I know its weird but I've seen alt replacement fix this.

I've never been a fan of those noise filters to get rid of stuff like this. (Ground loop isolators, etc.) Sure sometimes they work, but they're really just masking the problem.

Red jack

Reaction score
I do plan on running a 1000 watt amp with a 10 inch kicker later on down the line i am going to replace the stock head unit with a kenwood unit also. Where does the radio ground to and where is a better place to relocate it?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To be honest I'm not exactly sure where the factory radio ground point is. It snakes up into the harness and I never followed it. I've been able to use it successfully in both of my trucks, but if you wanted to relocate it I'm sure you could find a spot fairly easily. Anywhere on the body sheet metal should be OK, just make sure there's exposed metal making contact with your ring terminal. Sand off some paint over your screw hole so it makes good contact.