[SOLVED] What did GM use to push the factory glass open on the rear liftgate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The latch release works, if my wife holds the switch I can open the back glass. It looks like whatever you use is just backed against the plastic covering the tailgate, and that glass is heavy. I could switch it to a toggle switch but I'd prefer to leave it as is if possible.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should be a spring loaded popper, maybe the spring is weak?

It's long gone, so I'm trying to get an idea what to use. Or do you mean the little thing on the far right? I thought that was just a switch for the lights. I'd somehow got the idea the popper was in the latch area.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
It's long gone, so I'm trying to get an idea what to use. Or do you mean the little thing on the far right? I thought that was just a switch for the lights. I'd somehow got the idea the popper was in the latch area.
If they're like the barn doors, the contacts are several spring loaded brass cylinders, about the size of a pencil. Those get corroded and then stuff works slow or not at all.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this is the latch area, on the left is where the rod on the glass goes in. I tried some heavy foam there which didn't work. I might try a backing plate in front of the foam next, but I'd like to know how it originally worked.

You must be registered for see images attach

There's a spring loaded plunger on only the passenger side, it's the light switch though and I can't see force on only one side as a good idea as I've already broken the glass once trying to close it on the side.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Mine only pops after hitting the release a few times acting like the latch is gummy. Haven't seen any spring mechanism to lift the glass away from the latch. I assumed the latch is supposed to release until opened and reclosed.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine only pops after hitting the release a few times acting like the latch is gummy. Haven't seen any spring mechanism to lift the glass away from the latch. I assumed the latch is supposed to release until opened and reclosed.

So if I'm following you do hit the release up front and the glass opens on the back on its own? When you have a chance could you get a picture of the latch area? I've seen a few threads on this but nobody with a working one has ever commented before, you're a unicorn

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stuffed a piece of steel in front of the foam I'd put in and it works. Hitting the dash release barely pops it open, you can't even tell by looking at it, but when you grab it it opens. I think you're onto something in that the latch should just stay open, but with nothing in there the weight of the glass was resetting it as soon as I let go

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
So if I'm following you do hit the release up front and the glass opens on the back on its own? When you have a chance could you get a picture of the latch area? I've seen a few threads on this but nobody with a working one has ever commented before, you're a unicorn
So, upon actually looking at it (plastic and carpet never got put back on from a few months ago) there is a spring that releases the glass and pushes it put slightly when you hit the release. It is a part of the latch itself though.

Glass up, closed latch releases to the position above when hitting the release button (dash or remote).

Closed position for reference below.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's good to know, I'll have to see if mines there. That'd be easy to find something to replace it with