So many options, Don't know what to do!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeck11

Reaction score
For the heads and cam I need like specific links to the products haha or just point me in a direction that your 100% positive I can't veer off into something I don't want!!

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Heads I dont know a whole lot about, but for a cam you can call a cam manufacturer and tell then what youre using the truck for, ect... and they can custom grind one for you. Texas Speed and Performance is also a big LS performance shop that has good products http://www.texas-speed.com/default.aspx

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd clean up the old 350 to .030, clarence the block, and put in a fully balanced rotating assembly making it a 383. Put a bigger cam in it and when you rebuild the heads do the necessary work to support the cam. Do a 411 swap and tune (which you will have to if you get a LSx engine.) All that right there can be had for around $2,000 if you do your own wrenching and you will be looking at around 350 HP and 450 lbs. tq.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
I'd clean up the old 350 to .030, clarence the block, and put in a fully balanced rotating assembly making it a 383. Put a bigger cam in it and when you rebuild the heads do the necessary work to support the cam. Do a 411 swap and tune (which you will have to if you get a LSx engine.) All that right there can be had for around $2,000 if you do your own wrenching and you will be looking at around 350 HP and 450 lbs. tq.

I'd always thought that doing a stroker would be awesome, but the more research I do, the more I realize that LS motors have so much more power potential that the old SBC. With a 5.3 you can get similar power and better gas mileage for the same price as well as the ability to make more upgrades for even more power. Technology is a tool and it would be foolish not to use that tool is it is a viable option. LS motors are newer technology, plain and simple

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd always thought that doing a stroker would be awesome, but the more research I do, the more I realize that LS motors have so much more power potential that the old SBC. With a 5.3 you can get similar power and better gas mileage for the same price as well as the ability to make more upgrades for even more power. Technology is a tool and it would be foolish not to use that tool is it is a viable option. LS motors are newer technology, plain and simple

I do agree with you, but for the money in these truck the stroker can't be beat in my opinion. For the cost of doing what I described above you will be getting yourself a very used 5.3 in addition to all the swap goodies you have to provide as well. Doing the swap is not that hard, but the expenses sure add up when you do it right. I think it boils down to cost, power goals, use of the motor/truck, emission compliance, etc...

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
All this money into the engine.........

You should drop that 4L60E like a hot potato and slip in a 4L80E with a standalone Optishift controller.

Get a 98+ transmission to avoid the hollow input shaft.

Fully programmable transmission controller, tap shift/ Paddle shift capability, tow/haul modes, etc.....http://www.optishift.com/

I know a guy who sells the controller for 500 bucks a pop.

Last edited:

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All this money into the engine.........

You should drop that 4L60E like a hot potato and slip in a 4L80E with a standalone Optishift controller.

Get a 98+ transmission to avoid the hollow input shaft.

Fully programmable transmission controller, tap shift capability, etc.....

A properly built 4L60E can hold quite a bit of power. I like the ratios of the 4L60 more so too, longer overdrive and shorter 1st. They are lighter and rob less power too.