Smoked 3rd Brake Light Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I ordered a matching LED smoked 3rd brake light from Pro Tuning Lab when I got my tail lights also. I removed the factory light and plastic piece. I noticed that the plug I belive has 4 wires going into the plug. (Pics below) and that the light I recieved from PTL has a red and a black wire. Are there wires I need to cut and ignore? I'm not a master when it comes to electric stuff. I need answers fast guys! haha.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

DefiantJessen

Reaction score
I actually just ran into this same exact problem yesterday. I had tested to see which two lines were producing power, I cut the blue and white wire then connected it to the red and black wire. I got power, but I got power all the time even when the truck was off. So I reconnected the factor setup. Does your factory setup say tellecom or something industries also ? I had no answer for this either except that is was $40 down the drain. The places that sell these say good through 88-98 yet I don't believe that is actually true. I assume these lights work for some trucks but not others once the plug with 4 connections was introduced. I tested all four wires and couldnt come up with any solution or response besides all time power. Also I don't think this was posted by you but this setup shown is for an LED conversion setup.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good lord, dug this up from 2012.

In the interest of trying to be helpful though, if I ever found myself in this situation I'd be returning that LED 3rd immediately. I run one on my red truck and the plug was as it should be out of the box. I'm not hacking up my factory wiring for something that should be plug and play right off the bat.

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Holy thread dig. I ended up selling the light to a member on here for less than what I paid. Not sure if he ever used it or not.

Truck is long gone too lol.